Thursday, July 5, 2012

ABOUT THE HATCH ACT

In June after the election I posted RELATING TO HAQQ'S CHARGE. In that post I believe that I addressed the basis for the registered complaint. The following paragraph is from the Hatch Act.

“SEC. 9A. (1) It shall be unlawful for any person employed in any capacity by any agency of the Federal Government, whose compensation, or any part thereof, is paid from funds authorized or appropriated by any Act of Congress, to have membership in any political party or organization which advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government in the United States.”

This wording in Bold Face is ambiguous. Does it mean that an employee in the affected agencies can n ot be a registered Republican, or Democrat or Communist? Or is it limited to political parties "advocating the overthrow etc."?

I did not find in my rapid read of the Act a clause prohibiting holding office. I shall review the act again when I have time. Could a non party affiliated individual working for an agency receiving federal funds hold local office? Where is Chief Justice Roberts when I need him?
The act itself is under the process of revision if it ever gets out of Congress. It would no lnger be applicable to local or state offices.


No comments:

Post a Comment