Sunday, June 8, 2008

A KYTHERIAN EASTER

Too hot to be disturbed by the news. Neither Big Brown coming in last or Solaris delayiing MRMC's shutdown for two weeks will change the course of human endeavor.

Cool off--Wish we were there
From the late 50s to the mid 90s my wife and I would spend what vacation time I took traveling.
We often took cruises, rarely on the bigger ships in favor of those that carried 120 to 250 passengers. The trade off from not having nightly "professional entertainment", was the friendly congenial fellow passengers who enjoyed visiting the smaller out of the way ports. . More about cruises some other time.

I was also an avid photographer and probably have well over 1000 slides from our trips. Unfortunately the earlier ones were taken using Agfachrome, Anascochrome, Ecktachrome, and slow Kodachrome films. By the time it became feasible to transfer these images to CD discs, with the except of some of the Kodachromes the dyes on almost all the earlier shots had disintegrated or change colors.

I would hope to share some slides that I like with you. Please excuse the spots and occasional smudges that mar some views. There are little stories about all of them. The group that I found today are from a cruise that called at the small Greek Island of Kythira off the southern most tip of Peloponnese. We were fortunate to arrive on the Orthodox Greek Easter Sunday. There were no organized tours but we were able to hire a car and driver to travel the one road around the island



This island is mountainous as the views from the road illustrate. Along the way we stopped to explore a wooded area where there was the waterfall. This is the broad view of the waterfall in the woods
As it was Easter Sunday the people were preparing their family feasts. Every where in the villages and houses along the road, lambs and/or pigs were being roasted on spits over fires.
A family enterprise

The meal cooking
These friendly folks insisted on inviting us to share their meal. Along with the local wine and song and human warmness, this was the best meal we had on that trip. Our fellow travellers had similar experiences.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment