Monday, June 2, 2008

Election Day 6/3/2008 WWII pictures

TODAY JUNE 3rd IS PRIMARY ELECTION DAY. In Plainfield as in many "one party towns" for local offices this is the IMPORTANT & DECIDING ELECTION. I hope you vote for my choices, but even if you vote for the wrong candidate you have done your duty and congratulations.

While looking through a disc on which I had copied the 6th-8th grade picture I came across some that I had taken during WWII with a half-frame Foth-Derby 126 film camera. The quality had disintegrated over 60 years and there are others that I might share with you in the future as my skills improve.

Memorial day should have been a time for reflection about the horrors of war. We tend to focus on the military and forget that the biggest sufferers are the civilians caught in the destruction of modern warfare.

I am printing these photos from WWII to remind ourselves that the goal of the military is to destroy the target civilian population's will to resist and yield to the attacking force. That force may b e the Armies of a national government but in today's world rebels and terrorists.

The Iraq people have seen similar destruction of their cities as have the Lebanese.

We can not let concerns about our troops lead us to a premature withdrawal and the sure genocide that will follow in Iraq. Absolutely the war has been grossly mismanaged. We must be sure that the next administration doesn't continue to bungle the restoration of stability in the Near East.


This is the burnt out shell of the Reichstag in Berlin when the 82nd Airborne entered the city, 1945




Duisberg, Germany as the 17th Airborne occupied the city. This Rhine city was adjacent to Essen and was one of the leading steel manufacturing cities of Germany. The waterway may be the Ruhr canal.















War is hell Berlin 1945 Aug, The Kaiser Whilhelm Kirche. The steeple has been preserved as a memorial. Most of the buildings in the area were reduced to rubble by the Russian shelling and the Allied air raids.

No comments:

Post a Comment