Friday, June 13, 2008

FYI

The other day I asked for help for an answer to the following;
"A vet wanted to ask if a 2x4 and a bail of cotton mean anything to you?"

I should have known the answer but it took this comment to jar my memory;
Anonymous said.. "I believe it is a reference to a q-tip and treatment of venereal disease."

How could I have forgotten? 55 years ago is not that remote. Venereal disease was a problem that the armed services and the public had to face. The antibiotic era was just dawning and the treatments for gonorrhea for example would probably be considered unacceptable torture today.

Anyhow, boys will be boys and girls will be girls. In an attempt to prevent infections from sexually transmitted diseases the services supplied to medical detachments prophylactic kits for post intercourse use, that were to be distributed on request.

"Argyrol" a silver protein compound that had anti bacterial properties was supplied in a small toothpaste like tube that had a small nipple. The solution was to be injected by the individual into the urethra orifice. The swab was to paint the tip of the penis in the hope that to prevent a syphilis infection.

I have no clue as to the effectiveness of the kits. Argyrol solution had a wide spread use, including as a gargle for strep. throat. Silver protein compounds have demonstrated a true bactericidal property and were one of the most effective treatments in their day.

One afternoon in the Bulge while the battalion was in active combat I was blown away by a trooper appearing at the aid station and requesting a "pro kit"

1 comment:

  1. So is this how the soldiers spent their "free" time?

    ReplyDelete