Tuesday, September 15, 2015

MY COUNCIL MEETING




I have previously explained why I would not attend Monday night’s Council meeting. Perhaps if there had been something that would have drastically affected life in Plainfield I would have gone since I among many Reform Jews do not observe the second day of Rosh Hashanah. However since I believe that we should respect the beliefs of all others; it was out of  that respect for the few Jews still living in Plainfield that I opted not to go, knowing that Bernice and other bloggers would make a report.

Perhaps that was a mistake since nothing is sacred or predictable in the city OZ. I had felt that the “sick leave” Ordinance would pass on first reading since a majority had vote to put it on the agenda. Much to my surprise I read that it had been tabled indefinitely. Apparently Greaves who had voted for it a week ago now had changed her mind although I am told she said she was still in favor of the “sick leave”.

Too often some of her votes do bewilder the observer who gets the impression that she is confused about what is going on. I still insist that it is good parliamentary practice for a Councilor who is going to abstain or vote “nay” give an explanation why the issue should not be approved.

I also understand that Gloria last week had at some point mentioned that she was in favor of “paid sick leave” also rejected the Ordinance.

Since I did not know what the fuss was concerning the Senior Citizen Center the only comment I can make until I see the tape on PCTV was that I find most disturbing the report that when Smiley mentioned that the Administration did not share her opinion about Recreation Superintendent Veronica Taylor who was being put in charge of a program at the Center; Gloria Taylor retorted:”Well, we handle the budget, so keep playing with us."

That seems to be an open threat that is consistent with Gloria’s tenure on the Council; the gang of three have to get something for their support.

Likewise the approval of the Express Night Club’s alcohol; license despite the Police Department’s recommendation seems inconsistent we the Council’s charge to be the local ABC. The Council could have held a hearing as the ABC to determine if there was validity to the Police’s position. It chose to ignore them; makes one ponder.

9 comments:

  1. Its amazing how you can post things via second hand information but thats typical hypocrisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon 9:10 - first of all you aren't very informed on how Olddoc thinks - as he is unlikely to post something unless he has a certain level of comfort of its validity. And he would write it in a way that doest leave the reader wondering - as in this example today - quite clearly he wasn't there - per his own comment.

      On another note - I don't think you know what hypocrisy means as it makes zero sense in the context of your post or in reference to Olddocs blog post of the day.

      Delete
    2. Hey 9:10 - it's a BLOG!!!!! Look up the definition.

      Delete
  2. 9:10, There ia nothing hypocritical about posting 2nd hand information especially when it is so noted that it is not a first hand source. I find that a critical anonymous remark tp be just sour grapes when the writer does not identify him/her self.. If you were at the meeting and what I wrote is wrong then please tell me and I will print a correction if Gloria did not make that remark or if Vera had not voted otherwise last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you allowed all comnents to be posted and not sensored by you i would but we know that wont happen. You right for the benefit of mapp and his clique. The other bloogers do the same.. It was very obvious that the bar was singled out and harassed by the police. From what i hear. Some one owes someone a bunch and wants that license to lower his debt. But thats second hand info as well... Also what is the necessity for the seniors to be under the recreation dept? That was not made clear.. Mapp came in with the One Plainfield theme. Yes he is the Only One in Plainfield that is important..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11:35, I post 99.999% of the comments that I received anonymous or signed which I prefer, even those that are blasting me. The only ones that I do not post contain language that I deem offensive and vulgar or are targeting without proof a certain person . I would be most happy if you did put your signature on your comment.

      Delete
  4. Gloria Taylor likes to make threats and playing with Plainfield's budget and our money is acceptable. I am a member of the Plainfield Democratic Committee and I don't make threats, but I can promise that the vast majority of members will not choose to put Taylor or any of her cohorts on the regular Democratic line when they come up for election again. How do I know this? I talk to people politely and don't threaten them or put them down. I have spent years teaching my adult students to leave the street behind in their journey to become business professionals and take pride in themselves and their accomplishments. I don't think our City Council is a very good example of what I want for my students in or out of Newark's Central Ward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant, "not acceptable" for playing with the budget. Sorry about that.

      Delete