My excuse for not reporting on the Council meeting has some
validity in that I was tired when I returned home Monday night and Tuesday
morning was occupied by prior commitments.
I had no guilty feelings for being delinquent on a self-imposed
task which I enjoy the opportunity to “let off steam”. In fact I thought that
last night’s meeting had so little controversial matter that the other bloggers
would be able to cover it in one short posting.
From what has or has not been posted to this time (2:15pm)
as I am writing this; it appears that they too were discombobulated by the
going ons.
I thought that the presentation by Habitat for Humanity
would be favorably received and it was as it should be. The fact that closing the
street will only affect three houses cannot be glossed over but no one on this
Council thought to question if those individuals were aware of the project, and
had no major objections. What accommodations
are to be made to lessen their inconvenience?
As expected no objections were made to the three “Fiestas”
by any of the Councilors except by Councilor Williams who questioned the
negative impact on the merchants. She was the only one who raised questions
about the composition of the “parade”.
Regarding that “parade” I am willing to bet “dollars to
donuts” that prior to Monday night’s meeting none if any were aware that a
parade was included. I would happy to apologize to any or all on receipt of an non-prevaricated statement to the contrary.
These ‘Fiestas” seem to be very popular. It is too bad that
they are commercial private moneymaking exercises. Once again I would like to repeat my
suggestion that starting in 2015 they should be Community sponsored including
recognizing the heritages of all other ethnic groups in this city.
This would be truly a “go getter” for Plainfield and perhaps
become an attraction to bring in the new blood that will rejuvenate this city.
Such a project should be a joint undertaking of Economic
Development and Recreation.
We all know that there is an element here that speaks out at
every Council meeting against positive evolution, an element that is afraid of losing
influence. There is also another faction that for political reasons wishes to
maintain the negative status quo of the previous administration.
A bombshell took place during the Public Comment Session. Earlier
the Council had voted unanimously to approve a vendor(s) for the 4th
of July celebration.
City Administrator Smiley noted that there had been only
three responses for a bid request and they had accepted the one that seemed
best qualified.
At the Public Comment period a gentleman at the microphone
claimed he represented the outfit that had done the job for the past 6+ years
and his bid was several thousand dollars lower than the accepted one.
The inference was that something was not kosher in awarding
this contract. It was met by outcries of dismay by the portion of the Council
culminating in a reconsidering vote to not approve of the contract; and a call
for an investigation.
Ironically that was from those who found no fault with how the
previous superintendent of Recreation operated. For years there was no
accounting of how funds were expended. Where are the records that would validate
the loosing vendor’s claims?
Conversely will administration submit copies of the bids
received; and an explanation why the lower bids failed? What was the conditions set forth in the
request for bids?
The Council has not as yet presented its amended Budget and
Chairman Reid of its Finance Committee seems to have been dawdling in
presenting a product to the Council. Could his action be influenced by his
avowed agenda?
The Public Comment session became a venue for those candidates
for Council not on the “New Democrats” slate. And a platform for ex-Mayor
Robinson-Briggs.
Doc, What do you think of the situation in Nigeria? Who do you like in the race for Mayor of Newark?
ReplyDeleteFunny,Funny,Funny.
DeleteNigeria is another example of the lack of our respect for human life and dignity. The gov't has been accused of "war crimes' The rebels are equally guilty. The United Nations is a farce. Who gives a damn about the race in Newark when the people and I expect you are one of them don' care about good government in Plainfield.
My niece was doing a paper and had to interview 15 people on those two questons. It was a homework assignment. I respect your point of view and thought you would give some good insight, sorry never again.
ReplyDeleteJust so you know - I interpreted the questions as Doc did. He would be a source of great information, but why not meet with him instead of posting on a blog that is filled with political news.
DeleteI would reconsider if I were you. The post was not clear.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delete6:42 Am-sorry I had in error addressed this comment t0 10:55, Thank you for your clarification. I did take your 1st comment as one of the many sarcastic malevolent comments that we bloggers receive.I am now flattered that yuo believe that my font of knowledge and expertice is all encompassing
DeleteAs to the Newaark election; the people of the South Ward have spoken. The lesson is that it is important to cast a vote. In Plainfield the June Democrat primary decides who we hope governs not rules)the city
I believe that I did answer your question about Nigeria. All the turmoil and genocide in Africa is a curse on the western world, not only the "whites" but also the "African-Americans" who tend to ignore it as not affecting them.
Doc, Thanks for your input on my niece's paper, you have good wisdom, I have admired you from afar every sense you talked about your days with Dr. Bomar ,he was my doctor I will never forget the nice things you did for him.I did not realize that the blogs were only for political comments.
ReplyDeleteYou should be able to obtain a copy of the bids through an OPRA request if they are not volunteered. How did the purported "Low Bidder" know he was low bidder? Was there a public opening of the proposals? In Plainfield almost every public matter becomes cloaked in mystery, fueled by confusion.
ReplyDeleteBill Kruse
Am I the only one who wishes Sharon would go away?
ReplyDeleteI am sure that there are many that agree with you. They may not be vocal but is they truly want a better Plainfield they can show that om primary day by not voting for JG's so called Regular Democrats slate. She acts as if she is being primed for a patronage job by Council support, perhaps PMUA?
ReplyDeleteI to was wondering how the so called low bidder knew he was the low bidder. Did he have some inside information about the other bids that would leave him to be so brazen or naïve to actually say this for the record in public. It was also interesting that he considered his work the best considering in my opinion the parade has been going downhill the last few years. Maybe someone should look into this, but no, the council is too busy trying to sabotage the mayor and moving plainfield forward to be bothered with doing the job of their jobs.
ReplyDeleteThe contract amount "up to $x is stated in the Resolution referred to in the agenda; no mystery there. What his bid was should be OPRAed since Smiley noted that the contract was not awarded to the lowest bidder but "most qualified". I have raised the question in the blog.
Delete