Edmund Burke (1729-1797) said "Those who don't know
history are destined to repeat it."
But credit for
that comment is most often given George Santayana (1863-1952) who wrote in
The Life of Reason (1905-1906):
"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
What occurred in the past 8 years in Plainfield was the
topic of much of the post vote discussion in both the Public Comment period and
in the subsequent Council apologia.
Ex-Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs in the Public Comment
Session Tuesday night praised the council for its action recalling how seemingly
all by himself, “Mapp” refused to fund her personal secretary Barbara James and did not see the need of a Recreation
division conveniently forgetting that there were many unanswered questions
about finances in that division.
She did not approve of the new Director of Economic Development
Sanchez praising the invisible accomplishments of Jacques Howard during her
administration.
During the apologia following the vote approving the amended
budget, Councilor Storch pleaded that we should forget what happened during the
past and move forward to make it possible for Mayor Mapp to carry out his plans
to revitalize Plainfield.
Reid gave a soliloquy about how it was necessary to trim the
budget so that the high taxes that the seniors had to bear would not be
increased, and how he was dedicated to supporting the Mayor.
Greaves said something or other. And Taylor remarked that we
should remember the past in order that we would know the future.
And so it goes on. Since Robinson-Briggs tried to act as a
full time Mayor at times also acting as the City Administrator she could not
see why there was a need for Chief of Staff. And here I am more confused than
ever but I think she remarked that she had had a Public Information Director, “Terry
somebody” who perhaps Mapp refused to fund. Anyhow he was gone almost before he
was here. Thus we do not need one now.
Of course Taylor is right but seemingly for the wrong
reasons. We cannot forget the past but it will not foretell the future. We look
back at the past 8 years to realize what harm a dysfunctional government both
Administration and Council can do to our City.
If this 2014 Council would act as the members claim to do, I
could no longer refer to Plainfield as OZ. On the other hand these meetings are indicative of what this year will be , then I hope that next Tuesday the voters make certain that the 2015 Council will be different.
If I had friends who had my back like Jerry's kids have the Mayor's, I'd look for new friends...
ReplyDeleteI do hope after looking at the ethics of "THE VIDEO" they ask the state to look into the ethics of them supporting and keeping in place those members of the PMUA who stole $1,000,000.00 ..
I mean... a video / $1,000,000 .. I can see why the video is of particular concern as it speaks to openness, information and giving the citizens of the city knowledge.. The PMUA speaks to subterfuge, theft, deception and cronyism...so lets drag the state in over a video.
Per Taylor not forgetting the past it also includes the behind the scenes underhanded financial shenanigans of her and Jerry's buddy Sharon and her pet boy Dave Wynn... but that doesn't matter as Jerry told her it doesn't.
Let's see what the wise council says next year to the public and those supporters of the budget when taxes go up because we have little rateable revenue - and things like increase in pay for police, fire, and insurance premiums go up anyway. Then what do you do - cut police - don't pay premiums (well some don't pay taxes or PMUA bills so this is definitely on the table).
ReplyDeleteLet's pray for the Mayor and the Plainfield City Council
ReplyDeletewhat will people talk about when PMUA is gone? Let the city take over waste collection like before.I am tired of PMUA getting blamed for all that is wrong in Plainfield, the Democrats have ruined this city, the new one's and the regular one's.Mapp followers are brain washed, and Jerry followers have no brains.
ReplyDeleteAnon 11:13 - your comment is a great example of poor thinking. You clearly have a very cut and dry approach to things - sorry to inform you that life doesn't work that way. Just because people are against the PMUA - which should be noted charges DRAMATICALLY more than any municipal authority of a similar city to Plainfield - doesn't mean that people necessarily want the PMUA shut down and the services turned over to the city. Maybe that is an option but I don't live in a cut and dry world so I am open to a wide range of options - as long as the end result is achieved - good service, clean city at a reasonable price. PMUA is clearly a disaster that is over charging the residents of Plainfield. I will say that the line workers do an excellent job - so they are not included in my negative comments.
DeleteThis city has been run "Jerry's Way" for far too long and the results have been all but disastrous. Mapp isn't perfect but he is a far better option to Jerry and his kids. Jerry has had years to prove himself and has nothing to show for his years in public service. Green should go next year and his slate should go next week. Enough is enough - time for Plainfield to grow up and progress and time for Jerry to retire.
Anon 12:11,Blame it on PMUA and Jerry, mapp is our savior, oh please,.Both of them need to go. The people in this city don't get it.Blame. Blame, and Blame, all talk.We need Republicans to take over., they can't do any worse.My thinking is poor, why because I don't agree with you.Another problem in this city some people think they are only right.That is pretty cut and dry thinking.
ReplyDeleteAnon 1:04 - you may want to read what I wrote and not make up what you think I said. I blame PMUA for PMUA and nothing else. They are a corrupt and very expensive mess - feel free to prove me wrong.
DeletePoint out where I said Mapp was a savior - I actually said he isn't perfect but he is a better alternative. As for the GOP taking over - be my guest. They have their hands full with a huge budget gap and highest unemployment rate in the tri-state area but if you think they can do it then go vote for them.
And by the way - I don't think I am only right, but I know you aren't. That is cut and dry.
Why was Jaques Howard used as a director and even acting director of PW & UD but was an assistant director. If srb was so impressed with his work, why did she not promote him and give him his just deserts. The question is WHY was the recreation department so downsized. wynn wouldn't have given up that little bit of power without a VERY GOOD reason. There is something very consistent with who she fights for. roland Crawford chased little 4-5 year olds off the baseball field because they were of another league.
ReplyDeleteJerry Green needs to stop using people to throw Plainfield under the bus just to get at Mapp. Hey that's a common link! srb allowed sabotage and eventually threw QCBL out of Plainfield to get at one person.
Plainfield is going to need more than just prayer. it's going to need Devine intervention. Sharon and Jerry and the minions should remember karma is a ......
Prayer brings about divine intervention.This town needs to humble themselves, pray, seek God,turn from mapp and green,because they have wicked ways,listen out for Heaven, it is then that God will heal the land.
ReplyDeleteThat should help the rateables
DeleteWill He also help develop Plainfield and lower our taxes?
DeleteThen I shall continue to pray because this vicious cycle isn't getting us/Plainfield anywhere.
ReplyDeleteAnon, 3:24PM, Ok, you got me .You make good points ,very sarcastic, but not mean spirited. I like you, have a great day.
ReplyDelete