As anticipated very few read this blog over the weekend. I would hope you would go back and read my comments on the resolutions dealing with the "Fiesta's.
It is possible that I missed something; but I believe that there has been a major change in the Maree Group/Voluntad Productions from the application discussed at the Agenda Fixing Session and the presented Resolution. That is the inclusion of a Parade. If I am right, I hope there is complete enlightenment Monday night before approval.
I think it is time that the Council examined in depth the policy of permitting multi-day commercial events. That is what the Garcia and Maree 'Fiestas really are; theme labelled money making productions.
Plainfield has a large enough Latino/Hispanic population that perhaps it should be a municipal function to sponsor a celebration recognizing the various "Hispanic cultural heritages". With a responsible Recreation section that is within possibility.
I could expand it further; the majority of residents have an African-American background which includes different cultures. A city sponsored Fiesta would be appropriate.
Or even better; there are other smaller but significant groups of various ethnic origins; why not have an annual three day (more or less) event that would do justice to all.
'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I believe Mayor Al McWilliams did this with EthFest.
ReplyDeleteI do not reme,ber it. Perhaps you or Dan can elucidate about it.
DeleteI just read about this yesterday...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/events/week-ends-du-monde/
David Rutherford
David, Most interesting. Too bad I could not get the link to open when I posted your comment.Nor could I actively copy the link. If it is pasted in teh URL line (address) itg is most interesting reading. If others can do it so can we. Thanks David
Delete