Twice Monday night I guessed wrongly!
The first time I chose to go to the Congressman Holt’s Town
Hall meeting.
I had become convinced that the “Group of Four” would bypass the
Special Meeting to be good Democrats and attend the Congressman’s affair.
For at least a half hour Councilwoman Greaves was at the Library but I am told was in her Council seat when the vote on the PILOT took place.
In due respect Jerry Green did not duped Hall into having
the meeting in conflict with the Special Council Meeting. Holt had scheduled it
over a month ago although aware that there was a regular Council meeting or
slightly later that night. When he learned of the Special Meeting it was
impossible for his staff to find an alternate time.
Anyhow if I had just gone to the Courthouse I would a missed
first at the mike John Prichard’s bombastic dialog about the military and the
need for a hospital and his musical interlude.
I left to go to the Council Meeting in time to mistakenly believe
that the Council had regained its sanity and approved unanimously the PILOT.
In retrospect I may have been the angry residents of Liberty
Village who overfilled the Courthouse that influenced the final vote. Would there
have been violence if the PILOT was not approved? Thank goodness that was a possibility
that the unanimous vote negated.
At the Agenda Fixing Session I realized that once
again I was wrong . The “Gang of Four” defeated a resolution to waive residency requirements
for a Health Officer to fill a vacancy of at least 16 months. Those that gave a
reason such as “we have one in place with our agreement with the county”. (Rivers)
An 8 hour a week commitment which can be kept off site out
of 168 week hours certainly does not suggest adequate management of a depleted
division responsible for the health of the city as well as licensing dogs (174)
and cats (3). Only 30% of restaurants were inspected in 2013, and no report was
given about retail stores or carts that handle food. The possibility of food
born epidemics is always present even with 100% inspections, but the risk would
be negligible, However, if over 75% of
food vendors are not inspected the possibility of an outbreak of contaminated food
or rodent born disease is high.
Another comment “that we must enforce the residency requirements”
(Taylor) is so much BS. This coming from a Council that for 8 years did not question a Director of Public Affairs
& Safety who lived near Sparta for
most of his time and then out of state on Staten Island for the rest.
And we supplied him with a city vehicle to make the trips.
Also most of the Department Heads and City Administrators
when the position was filled did not live in the city.
Anyhow the “Gang” once again as a block voted no. One cannot
believe Council President Rivers’ statement that it was not political.
I have always been against clergy holding a public elected office since they can have undue influence up their flock. I had reservations about Councilwoman Reverend Brown. But once again she showed that she will vote her conscience.
You cannot be serious - they actually denied a Health Officer! What morons.
ReplyDeleteHow many people applied for the Health Officer job who lived in Plainfield? Did anyone ask that question?
Didn't seem to bother them for 8 years when no one in the cabinet in the administration lived in Plainfield. Hypocrites!
How do these people sleep at night? And I guess they didn't take the CBAC considerations to heart as they said.
Bridget, didn't you say that you were in a restaurant where the rats were in the restaurant and ran over your feet? Hope you continue to enjoy the fine cuisine.
Doc,
ReplyDeleteAgain, I must highlight the hypocrisy of the councilors who voted to deny a residency waiver. Just LAST MONTH, they voted a residency waiver for the new community development person. This is pure hypocritical blathering about "caring for Plainfield"--we witnessed a month of them playing with the sense of security of our Liberty Village community by voting to deny the PILOT agreement extension at the behest of their boss. It was ONLY public pressure brought to bear on them that made them finally vote yes to it.
Regarding the health officer--this is dire! They want to play politics with residency in this case--they don't care about the public health of this community at all. I am beyond angry at their willful disregard for the welfare of our community--just one case of a child becoming sick or dying from food poisoning, or one senior becoming ill or dying from a communicable disease--and they will be the first to wring their hands. This is shameful.
Rebecca
Doc to have people to call people morons it just not right. All you can talk about is the health officer I sat in the audience and what I am most disturbed about is the way the mayor is trying to use the city to pay his political favors. The budget committee was on point and the budget consultants were phenomenal. I know you will never talk about. It's a shame what is happening to this city. In four year's this city will be bankrupt. I know if any other mayor would have defeated this mayor you guys would have been all over him or her if he was spending money like this mayor is spending money in just 5 months. I can not believe this.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe that all I can talk about is the "Health Officer". That is a statement from someone who is happy and may have a personal interest with the status quowhich is why I posted your comments.
DeleteIf the budget committee was on point, why didn't the council approve a health officer? That was one of their findings that they were most adamant about - We need a health officer. So, you are incorrect in your statement.
DeleteMore baggage than you can shake a stick at. I'm sure we can do better-
ReplyDeletehttp://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/rahway_mayor_pressured_city_of.html
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/rahway_mayor_accused_of_ethics.html
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2013/09/post_15.html
Doc I spoke to the majority of the residents of liberty village outside the court house last night and there were some that was very upset with councilwomen Williams. They informed me that she bought them food last night in hopes of them coming to the meeting and turning it into a circus.
ReplyDeleteThey also informed me that they were told she was running for election and that was the only reason she tired to act as if she cared.
They also informed me that she have never been there before.
I was also told from several of the residents that will never support Mayor Mapp or Council women Williams ever for trying to make this more of a mess than it really was.
Now for Mayor Mapp to hold off on this until the last minute to pressure people for payola is just a disgrace.
I attended the town hall meeting at Ruth Fellowship and there were more people there than last night and the council people who gave the town hall meeting did not have to feed the residents of liberty village or charter a bust like council women Williams and mayor map did last night.;
Secondly the budget is a complete mess within itself. Let's see how many people will talk about that.
Renee
Renee - really? Seriously, please help me understand your reasoning. Here is how I see it -
Delete1 - Last year, Rivers, Mapp, Storch and Green saw the appalling conditions at Liberty Village
2- Green is head of housing and has done nothing for 20 years as indicated by the residents and their poor living condition
3 - Rivers did nothing. As Council President, she could have at least put in on the agenda as a discussion item. She could not do anything as a council person. Neither could Mapp or Storch
4 - Your 4th Ward councilmembers who have represented you for years did no know what was going on - which means what interest do they take in their constituents
5 - Mapp as Mayor, started negotiations as soon as he became Mayor to help get rid of the situation.
6 - This program was going to run out TOMORROW. Mapp (not Rivers) called a meeting to get this passed
7 - Rebecca goes to the people in the Village to alert them that this is important - not one of their own representatives did that
8 - An aside - Please don't talk about feeding people. Not only does Jerry Green do it all the time, but he doesn't pay for it out of his pocket. My bet is Rebecca pulled money from her own pocket and paid. At the very least people should appreciate her for that.
9 - This issue could have been settled a month ago, but Rivers - Greaves (your representatives) Taylor and Reid said no, because they did not want to be rushed into this. Did you know that they put the payment of Legal Shield on the agenda for months? The council has no say in whether Legal Shield can be deducted from an employee's pay, but they put it on for months. Notice, they did not put anything on for Liberty Village, and you are not upset with them?
I am not kidding. Please help me to understand. Rebecca, Mapp, Brown, Storch, all tried to get this situation resolved months before - and you are angry with them? Please explain. I truly do not understand.
One more thing, making the statement that the budget is a mess is fine. But what in particular? How is it worse that the budgets of previous years? I have noticed that people make broad and general statements but have no specifics. I am sure that if you have specific information and ideas to help with the budget, the administration would welcome it.
Again, this is a serious plea to help me understand why people are not angry with the people who held this up, but are blaming those who tried to help them.
Renee,
DeleteYou are saying that I "bought them food last night" and chartered a bus??? Really? I really cannot believe that you were told that by the residents. Certainly not the same residents I spoke to at the meeting. The lies you were told and are spreading are very disappointing to hear. Whomever it was who told you those outrageous lies should be ashamed of themselves! I didn't buy anyone any food or anything--perhaps they are confusing me with the previous mayor, who bought food with taxpayer dollars for every self-serving event she could think of. I am concerned that you would believe something so outrageous! I was at work in Newark until 5:00 pm--I got stuck in traffic and didn't even make it to the courthouse until about 6:15--I contacted the clerk's office to let them know that I was stuck in traffic. Nor did I charter a bus--I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. As far as telling the Liberty Village folks that I was running for re-election, etc., I think they know that--they follow the goings-on in the city very carefully. What you say you were told makes no sense--why on earth would anyone who was running for public office say that he or she only cared because they were running for office? I have been to Liberty Village many times, by the way--I don't know who you spoke to, but the folks I have spoken to appreciated the flier I sent around. The part of the complex that I represent has just a handful of voters. I stated my concern at the meeting and if you were there, you saw that the people felt that the negative characterizations by Councilors Rivers and Taylor were ridiculous. Please don't listen to outrageous gossip--what you wrote here is totally untrue. I was very upfront about why I felt that residents should come to the meeting--that's why I had the flier distributed. No other councilor contacted me about their "change of heart" regarding the vote to extend the PILOT--no one let the residents know, either, apparently, because they came out to make sure that their representatives did the RIGHT thing. It is clear that a few operatives are spreading misinformation--I know who is behind it--absolutely appalling and shameful.
Rebecca
Anonymous at 11:36 am--thanks for your support--however, as I stated, I live on a teacher's salary and a teacher's budget--I did not buy any food for anyone--that is a total lie by political operatives.
DeleteRebecca
hey Renee... throwing around some big accusations ( gossip ) that I'm sure you've been fed strategically.. who told you? what are their names? any proof ?? where is your reply ?? IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE MAPP AND WILLIAMS WERE THE ISSUE WITH LIBERTY VILLAGE YOU ARE THE "VILLAGE" IDIOT and didn't pay a damn bit of attention to the circus that was carried on in full view of the public.
DeleteRenee, Can you please respond? I truly want to know the reasoning behind your comments.
Delete@Renee
ReplyDeleteJust curious, do you live in Plainfield? If so, may be you should run for a seat on the council. I have seen your comments on various blog posts and, you sure do have an ax to grind with the current adminstration. It is my opinion that you are adding more fuel to the fire. Stop being a gossiper and, allow the people of Liberty Village to speak for themselves. If they have an issue with Ms. Williams, let them express it to her. I am quite sure Ms. Williams did not do anything different than the previous adminstration.
As a resident of Plainfield, I will always vote replubican when it comes to hometown issues/problems. Look at the surrounding town and, you will see why they are more successful than "Plainfield". Continue to vote the party line and, nothing will change and, the same issues will be the same year after year.
And, FYI, I am a black woman before you state that this comment is race based.
Veronica Belton
Ms. Belton,
DeleteI assure you that nothing "Renee" said is true. Every resident from Liberty Village whom I spoke to was very gracious and cordial and some personally came up to me to talk about this issue. I had spoken with several residents a couple of weeks ago as well--I put all my thoughts on the flier, on my blog, on the record at the council meetings--I signed the flier and gave my contact information--what I wrote is there for all to see. As far as buying food and chartering a bus--insane allegations. I would never insult the intelligence of any Plainfield resident with the thought that "food" would get me votes--that is a relic of the past administration. I am a teacher, living on a teacher's budget--after paying my bills and making sure my other obligations are met, I certainly don't have money to buy food and charter a bus. Again, not a single resident expressed displeasure at the meeting, during the break, or at the rest of the meeting. On the contrary, many smiled and nodded their assent as I spoke.
Rebecca
There may be several misconceptions about my postings. My criticism of the Council and the past administration is due to a belief that they completely disregarded Plainfield's welfare in order to condone a self-serving agenda. For the past four months this Council has acted to obstruct the Mapp administration. This is sort of reflecting the sentiments Jerry Green expressed in his flyer.
ReplyDeleteI am not a blind advocator of the Mayor, but I know he will do better than the last one. I am disturbed by what seems to be a pattern of patronage, which has been the norm for the past 20+ years, except this is being done by the "outs".
The older members of the Council continue to show a pattern of hypocrisy, especially Reid. Howev er I must admit that he has been consistent in his position that everything Sharon did was wonderful and everything Mapp tries is bad.
Some of the new appointments are questionable, but the majority are needed for the city to operate as a government. It is up to the Council members to shed political Republicism and fund those that are needed.
As to the Health Officer's Husband and the political fight in Rahway; I referred to it in a previous blog. That should not be a factor in filling a critical need, if she is qualified. After all we had a Director of Public Works for 4 years who was on the Council i that region. Her main asset was political.
. .
The key phrase is "if she is qualified"
DeleteDoc you were given mis information about the health officer. The health officer works more than 8hrs a week. I work in the health department and she is here 2 full day a week and about 2 part time days a week. I was informed about the council meeting last night and the person they were trying to waive the residency for I know about her personally from others whom have worked for her. She is a disaster waiting to happen. She is also a law suit waiting to happen. She is past freehold Rick Proctor wife. She used her political connections to get all the jobs that she have landed in the county and could not do the work. Why do Plainfield have to get left overs. We need a good health officer not a political health officer.
ReplyDeleteHi Veronica I have no issue with this administration at all. It's not personal it is business and the current administration did the same thing to the previous administration.
ReplyDeleteIn fact this administration had me so fooled that there would be changes that I VOTED for Mayor Mapp.
Mayor Mapp is a big disappointment. Lastly I am running for office I will be running for the school board on the issues.
More importantly it seems to me when ever someone do not agree with this administration they get extremely upset. Did you see council women Rebecca Williams face when the chair of CBAC was speaking, when the budget consultant's were giving their view on the budget it was a disgrace. Then for Mr. West to jump outside of his character was another drop in the bucket.
I'm not a Sharon briggs fan I posted about her when she was wrong and everyone agreed with me. Now that I am posting about the faults of this administration it's a problem.
Renee
Renee,
DeleteAllow me to congratulate for running for a school board seat, however, be very careful. The stones you are throwing at Ms. Williams will be the same stones that knock you in your head later on down the road.
It sound to me that you do not like Ms. Williams as a person. None of us are perfect and, we have all made facial expressions when we were not pleased during certain situations, etc. It seems to me that the more passionate you are about certain situations, others may think/feel otherwise.
You are about to embark on a journey with the school board and, I hope that you are able to keep compsure, when dealing with teachers, staff, parents, etc.
Also, how can Mapp be a disappointment, when its only been approx 5 months that he’s been office?
Finally, I think Plainfield need a fresh start, with all new elected officials. I am not for and/or against the current adminstration, I just want what is best for Plainfield.
Veronica
The problem, Renee, is that Mapp has been in office for less than 100 business days - I am talking Mon-Friday.
DeleteHe has been in office for LESS than HALF a year. I believe that people are being unfair to him because of their bias. He may not be Mr. Charming - but he is a fair, smart, businessman who knows how to manage.
How long was it when you started writing about Sharon? Was it less than six months, or more like six years?
Hi Renee,
DeletePlease be specific about your comments. You seem to be voicing opinions and the reader has to wonder if they are just yours. Thanks for not putting Plainfield first.
"It's not personal it is business
Deleteand the current administration did the same thing to the previous administration."
And that's not personal?
Doc she worked for the county and was fired not because of politics but because of her ability not to manage the department. She was then pushed on Rahway not because she was the best fit for rahway but because of politics. WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER BODY HERE IN PLAINFIELD. We don't need a body we need a HEALTH OFFICER
ReplyDelete11:29 am and 11:45 am: You do provide information that should be substantiated. Of course if true she is not the person we need or want. As I wrote "if she is qualified" poitics should not be a factor.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately ethics are frequently forgotten by our politicians
But aren't ethics not an issue when it comes to Politicians? Some take it to an art form.
DeleteEthics are always an issu especially in politics. Some fortunately bey few knowingly ignore it, a greater number try to logically explain away a violation or conflict. I would consider a financial arrangement with an entity that has a close relationship with another business would be a conflic of interest even though you are not directly involved with entity #1 if you have to be involved in legislative action affecting #2. Or taking legislative action concerning an entity in which a relative is involved.
DeleteHello everyone I am a lifelong resident of Rahway, not only am I a resident of Rahway I work for the Rahway health department. I will not say how long I have worked here because everyone will know who I am.
ReplyDeleteI am not politically connected and I could care less about this Mayor here in Rahway he is as worthless as all the rest but I had to say something.
I sat in the audience last night as I was the SPY for the rest of the employee's of the health department whom are beholding to Mayor Steinman who might be afraid that someone will see or notice them,
I want to take my hat off to the council people who did not support this appointment as you would have been in for a mess in your city. This women was the worst thing that happen to Rahway before Mayor Steinman.
I'm going to ask the same questions I asked when she was hired in the Rahway. Who sat on the interview committee they need to be fired also.
She caused so many problems in out department that there were lawsuits flying everywhere. She harassed the employee's that stood up for what's right. She could not run a health division if her life depended on it.
Mayor Mapp you said last night that you would not allow politics to run your cabinet well sir with all do respect this women only held positions because of politics not what she knew it was who she knew.
I felt your pain last night when you talked about being fired because of politics. I hope it was truly politics and not the lack of knowledge of your job description.
So for you Mayor Mapp to want to hire someone like this in your cabinet it have to be about politics not the knowledge of being a health officer because those qualities she do not possess.
Plainfield this will be a bad decision to hire this health officer. Trust me this message is not about me having a personal vendetta against her its about the grief she bought to our department.
I am so glad someone in the office pulled your blog up today so I can address this big mistake.
Thanks,
A concern Rahway employee
Rebecca I really do not know what planet you are on but I will tell you that the majority and I mean the majority of the residents did not agree with yours ad the Mayors tactics. To buy residents food get them a rauled up and then bus them over was just an insane trick to pull inspired by yours truly Mayor Mapp. You see he hides behind you and all that's doing is making it worst for you. I was there yesterday when the food was bought in and the bus arrived to pick them up. There was no bus that chartered them to the meeting or any sandwiches that was given out and the residents came out in numbers to the town hall meeting. This is about trying to fight with Assemblymen Green I would like to tell you to take your fight elsewhere. The Mayor did not think enough of the residents to come in the 4th ward for the town hall meeting heck he didn't even show up for the opening day why because it was in the 4th ward. He had to call a special meeting at city hall why so he could have police protection. COWARD
ReplyDeleteYou're joking, right?
DeleteMapp called a special meeting so that the PILOT could be transferred and the building would not be subject to market rates - which would mean that most people would have to move.
Jerry Green did nothing - Bridget Rivers called no meeting.
So, you are kidding when you think the Mayor did nothing just because he did not show up for the 4th Ward meeting, which was called by Rivers. It was her show, and he let her run it.
I just have one question for Renee, you say you are running for school board, would that be on a slate that Jerry Green puts together?
ReplyDeleteRobin Bright
Mr. Goldstein thanks for doing your homework. Council member' that did not support this residency keep asking questions and challenging this administration.
ReplyDeleteThe links that Mr. Goldstein supplied are worth reading for insight about the politics involved and a real question of ethics on both sides of the controversy..
DeleteDoc it is such a shame that a no VOTE means it is political. I do not know what world you and this administration live in. As I can see things Mayor Mapp along with the group of you guys think you are the only ones that know what best for the City of Plainfield. I am so glad that the council members that VOTED against this waiver stood their grounds. I hope they will not allow you guys to persuade them into going down this sinking ship with this new administration. So far in this new administration the best thing that happen to this City right now id the CFO. He have style and class and he just sits there and observe. I know he will be flying the coop soon or his reputation will be ruined by this Mayor. I like his style and he is very focused. His professionalism is a plus. If he stays he will turn this city around. I am waiting patiently on his response on the budget.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous 4:04, please be aware that "you guys" include many citizens who wonder why this Council was for Sharon hiring most of her people from outside Plainfield and now they are appalled by the same action. What happens is no one in Plainfield is well qualified? Do we take someone from Plainfield who isn't qualified or do we hire one of their friends. Let's get real about this.
DeleteBob, One of the Guys
You are right, a no vote does not have to be political. In this case it is.
DeleteAnd yes, I believe Mayor Mapp is the only one right now who knows what is best for Plainfield.
After less than half a year in office, this Mayor has made sure that people in Liberty Village still have a place to live. Mr. Housing - Jerry Green- had 20 years and did nothing.
I hate these general comments with no facts behind the. What has this administration done that indicates to you it is a sinking ship? All I see are smart people who have already made a tremendous difference is a short period of time. Let me explain - '
1 - Liberty Village PILOT approved so they have a decent place to live
2 - Look around the city - building is going on everywhere
3 - Go to City Hall. Employees are friendly, courteous, and happy to be at work
4 - Full complement of department heads which means the city will run more efficiently
5 - More department heads who live in Plainfield
Now, please explain your sinking ship.
4:04 PM: once again I DID not say that the NO vote on the residency waiver was political. I wrote that the "Gang of Four" which I call them because they seem to vote as a block gave ridiculous reasons for not approving the waiver. I commented on the only two that were given.,and I considered both to be nonsense. If they were not going to approve her nomination for reason which seems to be validated by many of the commentators they could have at leased remarked that they were not going to accept her appointment for cause. Therefore the resolution had to be rejected.
ReplyDeleteI know that Mapp is well capable of acting like the politician he is.
Robin I would never run with old democrats/new democrats any of them. I am running as a independent. I have lost faith in any of them. To answer your question I am running on my own. I know I will not be able to compete with the money that he old democrats/new democrats/republicans have but I will do my best to walk the streets and win.
ReplyDeleteRenee
As long as your intentions are honorable and in the best interest of the children, I wish you luck!
DeleteRB
THERE WILL BE NO MORE COMMENTS POSTED HERE. IF YOU WISH TO REMARK ON ANY SUBJECT GO TO 48 HOURS WHICH WILL BE A COMMENTARY FORUM AND SEND IN YOUR REPLY THERE. AS INSTRUCTED.
ReplyDelete