Saturday, November 22, 2008

TO THE CITY BY TRAIN- OBOMA"S CABINET

In order of importance-Local vs National:

Councilman Burney's Blog about the one seat ride into NYC is interesting but a represents a rehash of 30+ tears talk. When DOT took over passenger operations on the defunct CRRNJ and built the ramp connection to the old Lehigh Valley tracks so that the Jersy City Ferry terminal operation and the bay bridge could be abandoned the promise was made that access to Penn Station was the ultimate goal. Even then an additional tunnel under the river was contemplated as a necessity.

During this time interval the electrified Gladstone and Denville/Dover lines were modernized and converted to be compatible with the existing Amtrack lines. However all plans to electrify the Raritan Valley line were abandoned as too expensive, as was a the new tunnel that would be needed to carrier the extra capacity. This was in a time of relative record setting prosperity.

The concept of hybrid Diesel/Electric Locomotive is not new and I believe have been used on other Metropolitan lines sin the past. Perhaps the LIRR or the NewHaven lines, that I would have to research. as to a new tunnel, by the time it is built or even funded I think the time table, and I can be corrected, is not before 2020 to be operational. This was the proposal before the market collapse.

Before we have too many hopes for the Raritan Valley lines, remember North Jersey has priority, Also what ever happened to the proposed Light Railway system?


OBAMA WATCH: Despite the fact that the selection of his incoming leaders reflects a return to the Clinton Washington of old and new a true change, he has chosen wisely with perhaps, to me. one exception.

Obama is avoiding Carter's mistake of surrounding himself with people who had no concept of Washington and National politics. He continues to impress me as a very astute politician and certainly seems on the right road restore economic and social confidence in the United States. If his adviser's input is not too radical to create resistance, I hope Congress will not go off the deep end with their own, and to date destructive, agendas.

My exception is of course, Hilary as Secretary of State. Yes she will be an improvement over today's gofer. Yes, her international exposure and of course President Clinton's foreign relationships cab stand us in good stead. However I do not know how effective she will be in her new role. As a carpet-bagging power seeking opportunist politician I can not envision her being subservient to the President.

You judge this individual, who became a resident of a safe state in time to receive the nomination for the Senate and who ran for reelection stating that she had no intention of seeking any other office ,but would fulfill her term as Senator. The best thing the Democrats did was to deny her the right to become President.

I hope that this lame duck but one party controlled Congress will not sabotage every attempt to mitigate today's crisis. What is more important, this country's welfare, or some self centered incompetents using private jets to travel to meet with Congress? Those individuals and their peers must be dealt with by their stockholder's not boards ASAP, but first things first.


A note of disappointment; No one has identified the Canal City. No surprise but I hoped that I would get more replies (non posted). Another clue The city's name suggests that it is in the wrong country. One more day.

1 comment: