Wednesday, May 27, 2009

WORLD, NATIONAL,and LOCAL POTPOURRI

Today's Political Quote: "There are seven sins in the world: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice and politics without principle." Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
And two bonuses; " If you are not turned on to politics, politics will turn on you" Ralph Nader "A week is a long time in politics" Harold Wilson

While we are very interested in Plainfied's upcoming election on the national and international scene there are two new items of extreme concern for all of us.

The first is North Korea's challenging the world by conducting a nuclear explosion and shooting and testing short and mid long range rockets over the Memorial Day week end. This was not only an insult and challenge to the United States but the entire family of nations. The similarity of Hitler's repeated challenges to the European nations which ultimately led to his disastrous for humanity war adventure can not be ignored. Without unity of nations especially China and Russia the North Korean blackmailers will continue to increase the stakes and break promises until an international atomic war will be inevitable.

If you think I am crying wolf you may be right, but the French did not contest Hitler's rearming Germany or the seizure of the postwar Rhineland zone. Both France and England sacrificed Czechoslovakia for Chamberlain's "Peace in our time". (There is a Memorial on City Hall grounds with the names of some of my high school friends that attests to that "peace"). Stalin and Italy supported Hitler until he turned on the former and fought bitterly in the latter country.

Are we, the political leaders of the world, again going to ignore the lessons of history? I hope not.

On the national front our politically astute President has selected a woman who is also Hispanic born in a low cost housing project to become the newest Supreme Court Justice. The opposition to her nomination will not be due to her lack of qualifications, or her being too liberal or conservative, but rather a routine inter-party hassle. There are some speeches and papers she has written in the past that may come back to haunt her. At this point I have no negative feelings about Obama's choice.

In the realm of local politics , the timing of tonight's Candidates Forum is inconvenient for me to attend. Although I have qualms about the sponsoring "group's" political impartiality I would like to have been able to learn the positions of the to date silent candidates. I will have to depend on the other bloggers and media for an impartial resume of the forum. If you can attend do so.

Mystery, why does the City site's Calendar have the Agenda Setting Session of the Council posted for Tuesday June 9th. Is Monday a holiday that I am unaware? Or is the shift in dates to confuse us elderly who like habitual consistency?


I had intended to be impartial about the candidates for the rest of this week and have already printed three quotes on politics in this day's blog, however after reading Jerry Green's page on Tuesday I must make a comment prefaced by another quote; "Nothing is so admirable in politics as a short memory" John Kenneth Galbraith

The heading on that blog reads "Give the late Al McWilliams the Respect He Deserves"

The cynicism of the man.Four years ago he as Chairman of the local party committee dumped McWilliams as the party's candidate for mayor and attacked him. He has repeatedly referred to in derogatory terms to that administration. Now he is trying to distance himself from his mudslinging.

He also writes; "Unfortunately, my opponents and the candidates running against the Mayor have yet to discuss what I and the public consider as solutions and moving ahead in the right directions." When has the Mayor discussed problems and solutions in any terms other than vague generalized comments. Perhaps she will tonight at his forum. JG also emphasises his role in the election by the terms "my opponents" and "what I***consider" as if he were the candidate's spokesperson.

One final Potpourri item; Plaintalker today has addressed the problem of tax exempt properties as well as exemptions form parking requirements in entries to her blog on Tuesday. The problem of tax exemptions should be a priority review item for Council and Administration as we are now going into the 2010 FY. Will it be another 10 months before we have a budget?.

3 comments:

  1. The reason for meeting on Tuesday, June 9 is that the reorganization of the Democratic Party takes place on the Monday after the primary.Two slates of committee members will be on the June 2 ballot. The winners will constitute the group that selects the chairman, ward leaders and officers who will then serve for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The impartiality of the group hosting tonight's forum..? Doc are you serious?!

    You said nothing of impartiality when Rev. Thomas hosted a debate at his church, where one of the candidates is a member..!

    Call is both ways Doc, call it both ways.

    TSB

    ReplyDelete
  3. TSB' You confuse me. I thought that I stated that I had questions about tonight's group's impartiality since it seems to be an alter ego of the Jerry Green faction in the city committee.

    I have as of this moment no memory of what I said about Rev. Thomas deb ate meeting. I believe that it had to do with the BOE elections and will have to go back and find the reference.If I did make a comment it would be about the realtionship between "Church and State".

    ReplyDelete