-
- I consider the dialog resulting from my "13 MORE DAYS" post to be worthy of greater exposure so I am reproducing it in its entirety as of May 21 am. There has been no editing of the comments except for some minor correction of typos in mine.
- Plainfield Resident said...
we knew from the get-go you'd be in the corner of Mapp. You cite inconsistencies in your own blog...
'since JG wont be answering questions I expect to be in the dark' from Doc
'i do not intend to answer questions unless they seek to improve this city and district' from JG
these are the little foxes which have spoiled your vine Doc. Your potpourri isnt distracting enough to cloud the focus of your readers of your cunning support of Mapp and the team.
-
Anonymous said... "Mudslinging; There has been to much personal attacks on individuals especially from one of the slates. This has been a tactic of demagogues"
Lets see..Jerry Green attacks and everyone cries foul.
Ruch Limbaugh - errr..I meant Dan Damon attacks every day - most are untrue - but when posed as questions - who said he was lying? He was only asking a question. All of that is OK. No one bats an eyelid.
Storch attacks - and that is OK.
As long as society keeps sticking it's head in the sand, then you will continue to peril with repeats of history and will wonder why.. why... and why....
In the end, only the truth prevails.
-
olddoc said... I am sorry that the above two nameless do not understand me. If I have seemed to have fixated on Mapp from the begining it may be because I have objected to the lack of substance in Robinson-Briggs campaign or in the postings or comments from her supporters. I expect the aboe reaction, but if you read "13 MORE DAYS" you will see that I have also questioned and asked for proof for Mapp's statyem,ents about the police. Except for crime there have been no claims by hom that are not evident by facts. On the other hand too many charges by tghe only public spokesperson have never been followed up when requested for facts.
Do I think that Adrian Mapp is the perfect candidate for mayor? No, but as of May 19,2009 he is the one that appears to ME to offer Plainfield the best leadership in the next four years. Have I endorsed him? No.
If you read what I wrote "will leave me no choice but to vote for Adrian Mapp" you will see that I have made no decision written in stone and there may be a radical change in the campaign that we lead me to vote for another person on June 2,2009.
I would hope that the viable candidates will address the issues I raised by facts and reasonable goals before election date. I do not have the answers, I am looking for them and I hope you are too seeking.
-
Anonymous said... Do the first two respondents think the Mayor has done a good job? As far as the second comment - I find it interesting that JG - Rush Limbaugh and Dan Damon are grouped together. Two of the three are open about being opinionated and taking sides. They are not journalists, but a blogger and entertainer. One claims to be above the fray. Can you guess who is who and why they are not related?
-
Anonymous said... Ah, but the blogger claims his "clippingss" are non-political but in fact they are anything but. True, even that blog is entertaining, sort of, if you have nothing constructive to do or nothing better to read.
-
Anonymous said... Doc, I understand your point here. I am supporting Mapp for one of the reasons you cite. There is no perfect candidate and there probably never will be one. But Mapp is the only candidate out there who really seems to be running seriously for this job. The mayor is avoiding the media and has no substance to her flyers about her accomplishments over the past few years. She has not offered any substantive plan. She has not come before the people at all and she has ignored media requests to be interviewed. Is that leadership? I met Mapp at his headquarters and had a very fruitful discussion with him. He seems knowledgeable about the budget and how he would work with the city council to make the city work more effectively and he seems up to the challenge. So I told him I'd give him my vote. I just can't vote for the mayor this time and the other candidates seem to be clueless about how to tackle the issues. I met with two of them and walked away wondering why they were running. I shouldn't be feeling that way with only two weeks to go. Again, nobody's perfect but we need someone better than we have now.
-
Anonymous said... If one goes to Adrian Mapps website, you will see where he proudly touts his previous experience on the City Council, and as a Union County Freeholder, as testaments to his suitability for the office of the Mayor. It is something to be proud of – service to ones city is not something to snuff at, especially if that service has been effective. It really begs the question though… what did he do as a Councilman or Freeholder that has made a significant change in this City? EIGHT (8) years as a Councilman – surely he should be able to draw attention to at least a few accomplishments, significant decisions, prudent voting… something which shows just how he aided Plainfield through his previous appointments.
Mr.Mapp repeatedly, on his website and elsewhere cites his desire for change as his motivation for running, everyone wants to be a Barack Obama … but let’s be honest folks, this is beginning to look more and more like a “Blast from the Past” than the lightening rod for change that he has adopted as his mantra.
Myself, I have only fleetingly met Mr. Mapp, I have however, closely observed him at Council meetings in an attempt to get a feel for the person that he is. I will not bore you with my personal feelings and observations, nor are they relevant. However I will share with you the results of a very unofficial survey which I took. I asked people that I encountered in my day to day around Plainfield if they knew (or knew of) Adrian Mapp – and what their opinions of him were. The answers were varied… much to my surprise, apart from seeing his name on a few lawn signs, a large number of people had no clue as to who he was and what he stood for. Also surprising was that of those that knew him (or knew of him) a pretty large percentage of those said their initial impression of him was one of arrogance. I thought this was a strong word, but it was one that kept coming into play again and again. It raises the question, what kind of Mayor does an arrogant person make? Does he consult with City residents to ensure that he is making decisions that everyone will benefit from, or does he assume he knows what’s best for everyone and dismisses other points of view?
-
Anonymous said... The last comment is worthy of note: What has Mr. Mapp actually accomplished is so many years of political service?
You see, to be a leader, you have to be a visionary. You have to be able to connect with people. You have to be able to inspire people. And you have to be able to lead people.
When so many think of someone as "arrogant", there is an inherent leadership problem.
-
olddoc said... I agree "arrogance' is a strong word. I think that "pompousness" might be a better characterization. I attribute this in part due to his educational roots.
-
Anonymous said... How about "pompous and arrogant"? A good description of Mr. Mapp, and a good description of what Plainfield DOESN'T need in a Mayor.
-
Anonymous said... After reading the 10 comments, I am just wondering if all of the writers think the mayor has done a good job and deserves 4 more years?
I see nothing that she can cite as an accomplishment, and she has the platform to do something. Adrian Mapp may not be the perfect candidate, but do you think the mayor has done such a good job that she is?
-
olddoc said... No not arrogant. His syntax and flowery vocabulary gives the appearance of talking down to us peons. I accused Dr, Gallon of the same fault. It is not good for a politician. I have not seen evidence of "I know what is best for you".I hope if he is elected that he will be able to work with the Council and use citizens for resources even if they rae not yes people. Just like nationally, statewide and localy it is time for change.
-
Anonymous said... Watch out what you wish for, Doc. Not all change is for the better.
-
olddoc said... Agreed. not all changes are for the better. At the risk of again being called a racist!!! who grew up in the mainly Caucasian white/blue collar "Queen City" Plainfield, I can not accept the premise that today's ethnic mainly Afro-American with a substantial Hispanic minority population has to continue to be the"pips". Change may result in greater chaos but I fail to see a promising future for this city under status quo.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
AN UNUSUAL POSTING
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9:33 a.m. is word for word from Jazz Clayton-Hunt's blog denouncing Mapp.
ReplyDeleteEveryone agrees there is no ideal candidate in this election.
ReplyDeleteThe Mayor has the people and vision, but not the intellect.
Mapp has the intelect, but not the vision nor the people skills.
Brokaw has neither.
Cox has good people skills (only).
And it is downhill from there.
Mapp had a good shot, but he has reduced himself to attacks on the Mayor in typical Republican style.
Every organization needs a watchdog - a watchdog shouts at everything that moves.
ReplyDeleteMapp has become the watchdog of Plainfield.
But there is a difference between a watchdog and a leader.
Even 24-year old McWillims can see that. That is why she is not endorsing Mapp.
"Pompous and arrogant" is a good description of Mapp. He talks down to citizens and acts like a know-it-all, but if you listen you'll see that he talks a lot but really doesn't say anything except to show off how great he is and how much more than anyone else he knows. Now that's arrogance!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad McWilliams hasn't endorsed him. I always thought she had good sense, and I hope she doesn't change her mind. If she does I'll have to re-evaluate my opinion of her.
Doc,
ReplyDeleteI am surprised at Sharon's friend Jazz Clayton-Hunt and former press officer for Sharon posting her own blog rantings on your blog. I suppose it's because no one read hers. She has written an embarrassing post about candidate Mapp spreading rumor and innuendo about what she has heard and then saying she has only "fleetingly" met Mapp?? That is unbecoming of her.
Old Doc, Storch and McWilliams are the only councilors who have endorsed Mapp, maybe some of the others will come along. I know at least 2 others who have been on the fence. She and Mapp ran together as a team last year on the same ticket and I met them at a "meet the candidate" gathering at my neighbor's home and they were very supportive of one another. I can't imagine that anything has changed because I see how close they still are. the 7:56 post is obviously someone trying to spread misinformation to hurt McWilliams and Mapp, it's so transparent.
ReplyDeleteSince Adrian Mapp was Al McWilliams' protoge as well as friend, and since he encouraged Anne McWilliams to run for Council.
ReplyDeleteJG's charge that the public rejected Mapp's run for reelection as Freeholder, should be taken with a large grain of salt. The machine did not renominate him and to run as a non party line candidate would take a miracle to be elected. At County and State level one needs the party support to win a primary.
If Mapp did nothing in eight years on the council, why did the RDO put him on the line for freeholder? I think the fact that he reserved the right to make up his own mind while on the freeholder board was too much impudence for the machine.
ReplyDeleteWhen Al McWiliams was Plainfield's Democratic chairman he put Mapp on the RDC line for freeholder. Mapp spent three years posturing, sounding off, and holding hands with the county Republicans, so it's no wonder the Democrats dumped him off the line when his term was up. He is still taking advantage of every opportunity to grandstand and show off. We don't need that kind of egotism in city hall.
ReplyDeleteMapp is Roselle's CFO and the town's finances are a mess. Plainfield has enough real problems now--we can't afford the problems he would add to them.
"If I have seemed to have fixated on Mapp from the begining it may be because I have objected to the lack of substance in Robinson-Briggs campaign"
ReplyDeleteAnd you see substance from Mapp and Damon? Where please do tell.
Like his Obama piece. Lots of twisted facts and hype. Short on substance.
6:55 PM has taken a quote from my blog.There is a difference between innuendos which have been the basis of the Old Democrats material, and the most often suportative references (links) provided by Damon.
ReplyDeleteAs to Mapps charge that the available Police numbers have decreased in the past 3+years, there is a communication to him from Dashields that the of 151 authorized there are 146 on the roles as of now plus 5 on terminal leave prior to retirement. Up to earlier this year two more were on special assignment, protecting the mayor. Those are facts. The financial gaffs reported in pPainfield Today are facts.