Monday, May 11, 2009

MONDAY NIGHT AT THE COUNCIL

My Earthlink modems- I have collected several in the past year- continue to fail to contact the server. I had one I discarded a month ago and when I replaced the one sent as its replacement which the tech found to be completely defective I was able to b i on line for about 6 hours. I borrowed one that had been used to access Verizon's system (DSL). the tech could not make it work for Earthlink. However subsequently after sufficient kicking and colorful words I have communication although I have to initiate a new connection every time I boot up.

I have time for a brief report on Monday night's Council Business session.

The meeting started with 4 of the 7 Councilor's present. Unusual was the overbalance of the membership with all being on the left of the Council President. Ultimately there were 5 present. Again the overwhelming majority of resolution were on the Consent Agenda, although 5 were removed by request and approved as expected without a nay vote. There were valid reasons why these resolutions were request to be voted on individually such as amount of money involved, method of selecting the vendor, or in one case retroactively approving a contract.

It seems that once a resolution is approved at the Agenda setting session is set in stone so the business meeting is a formality. Of course the public has no in put at the "Agenda Session". However, with only one meeting of each type a month, I would hope that it would b e the most serious matter to keep any of the Councilors from fulfilling their commitment.

A resolution "REGARDING THE DEFEAT"--of the school budget at the polls was introduced. The Council voted to take "no action to modify or otherwise certify" the budget. Since the Commissioner of Education told them in no uncertain terms that she was obligated by the present laws to approve that budget as presented, nothing they could do would change it, the Council was faced with an impossible situation and acted accordingly.

The time is too late to comment on the Public Commentary Session regarding the Hospital and Chanel 74. I hope to have time later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment