May 4th 10PM I have material for several days blogs. Eureka!
I do regret that Councilman Mapp was absent for this meeting, since I am sure that he will have numerous questions that he needs answers for next Monday's meeting.
However, I can focus today on two items that elicited questions and/or comments by the Councilors before being approved for agenda placement.
One, and I can refer you to Plainfield Plaintalker for more info., was about the contract to BLOCK BOX PICTURES,LLC. as Plainfield's Media Consultant for a sum not t o exceed $50,000.00 retroactive to FY 2009 starting July 1, 2008 and apparently approved by Council resolution August 18, 2008.
Apparently, the resolution passed was for the position and a second resolution specifying fiscal matters was never enacted. According to City Adninistrator Dshields "it slipped through the cracks" This is not the first time that we have heard that comment, which is a reflection on the present Administration's attention to good management details.
Nevertheless Blox Box was employed up to the date was confusing but apparently some time in Feb. 2009. During that period "he" received $23,420.00 as payment and is presently owed a "vague" sum of perhaps $6,000.00 for work performed, leaving nearly $21,000.00 for the next 50 days of the FY if passed at the business meeting 5/11/09.
It was brought out under questioning that all work is done under hourly billing. What controls are there to prevent padding? I know that most professional contracts are so designed but that does not make them ideal.
While on the subject of professional contracts, Councilor Storch again questioned the awarding of another contract to Remington & Vernick Engineers without competitive bidding in the amount of $52,070.00 for the "South Second Street Phase IV Resurfacing Project". He noted that although these fees may be covered by grant funds, and range in the multiple 10ks range the total could be substantial and by the end of the FY competitive bidding could result in large savings.
The City Administrator reminded the Council that this firm was doing the job that a City Engineer would do.
At the Public Comment period I noted that up to about a decade ago the city employed a City Engineer who for up to the 90s was qualified in all aspects of Civil Engineering. He was succeeded by an individual with the title , and perhaps the training but not certified in New Jersey to practice Civil Engineering, so that an outside firm was also required. Ultimately as a cost saving exercise the office was abolished. One reason given was that there were no qualified applicants available.
I did suggest that in these economic times that there could be many out of work or new college graduates that would jump at the chance to fill such a post. As expected there was no comment.
Believe me, I am not so innocent or wet behind the ears to not understand that an individual employed by the city and perhaps protected by civil service laws is not a good source for campaign contributions. Patronage is more powerful than saving Taxpayers' money.
(More to come)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are suggesting hiring more employees in these tough economic times? Many people say we have too many already. We need to cut back - not add to the payroll.
ReplyDeleteI can just imagine what you would say if the admin brought it to the Council for approval: "More patronage jobs" And you would say "the position is fixed"
You know it, and we all know it.
2:36 PM: I think that I suggested that a City Civil Engineer's salary would result in a large financial saving for the taxpayer. I have not added yup how much has been paid each FY to the "approved professional engineers" via the no bed contracts. I think that if you added it up you will find that the "nickel and dime" multiple contracts result in a substantial sum of money. It is true that outside consultants were hired even though there was an aoocupant of that position. The trouble was that the last person who held the position had never received his license to perform such work which his predecessors were responsible for.He was in a job for which he was not qualified.There was also a rumor that he held a questionable title to some profitable real estate.
ReplyDeleteDoc, glad to hear you are getting some facts. Remember that the last Engineer was brought on by the New Dems - by the previous admin.
ReplyDeleteMapp was on the Council then. Maybe he can tell you all the tough questions he had for that engineer. Same for Storch.
Enough with the New Dems. Remember Obama calls himself a New Dem.
ReplyDeleteI would like to know the consequences of "falling through the cracks". I think the Council is a good one, but I do not see them holding the Administration accountable. Who is accountable for the "falling through the cracks" and what will the Council do about it?