Wednesday the state of our present economy hit home with the news that my grandson-in-law in Ohio was being laid off as of this Friday. He works for a supplier to the automobile/truck/military vendors and this is an example of the trickle down economic changes.
This was a bolt out of the blue for them. With two young children and a big mortgage even with my granddaughter's job their cash flow will probably approach zero if not negative. She is an employee of the Ohio state and they are already having to take a mandatory 10 days furlough this year.
Why do I mention a family problem? If you have read many of my earlier posts you are aware that I have been harping on municipal employees making some financial accommodation despite their union contracts.
When Frank D’Aversa at Monday's special Council meeting asked if the administration had approach the union membership on this matter, the response was that there had been 4 meetings with the union. There was no specific statement that the subject had been broached, but rather that these might have been preliminary discussions about a new contract which is due this year. Also not disclosed was with which unions were the meetings held.
I did not attend the Council's education seminar on insurance. The important thing that should be learned is that for so many years the contracts have been handled by a preferred broker, and I have no recollection of approval of any "quotes" by the Council. That may have occurred at meetings I did not attend. However, if the "approved vendor" concept is only applicable to the acceptance of a bid from the two or even three lowest bidders there would undoubtedly be substantial savings. The usual and customary way of doing business is not valid in these times.
As to my comments on the proposed BOE budget; some of my questions were for the purpose of stimulating interests. However, if the system is only responsible to the charter schools for up to 90% of the costs per student in the city 's schools same grade, I can not understand why there would be a $3.2 million increase in the charter school line without a slightly larger (3.6 million) decrease in the systems line. This does not allow for the expected inflow from those children at present in private schools.
Also with the projected layoffs why should there be such a great increase in the salary line? I am publicly asking these questions, not by personal communication because before the April 21 referendum I believe that we all have the right to make an informed decision on spending our dollars.
I think that the k-8 school plan as presently and proposed implementation is an excellent progressive step for the system. I would hope that we are finally have a plan to improve the quality of education form a bare bones graduation curriculum to something that would challenge the gifted child. If that is in place it would behoove us to be sure to try to fund such a program.
Economic times are tough now, and we have to be sensible and cooperative in how municipal funds are allocated. I hope we never reach the dismal days of the 30s when people had little disposable money. Then instead of buying new shirts to replace those with worm cuffs and collars, people bought replacement shirt cuffs and collars (usually white). Many used a rubber based plastic compound, like today's plastic wood, to fill in the holes in their shoe soles. Mothers and wives were experts in the art of darning the worn heels and toes on socks. We could not waste.
editorial corrections 9:35 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This administration has made no attempt to ease the tax burden in Plainfield. I heard rumors that the mayor doesn't even live in Plainfield. Considering how little she has done to try to reduce her 10% increase - I can believe it.
ReplyDeleteFacts, PLEASE, not rumors.
ReplyDelete9:39 AM,You mistakenly sent to my blog your comments meant for Maria's blog. I will not post anything not related to the specific blog. One exception, if you are referring to a previous posting by me and do so by "name" I will post it if appropiate.
ReplyDeleteThe charter school increase is a combination of an increase in the number of charter schools---one was added, and the increase in the number of students for the charter school that alreasy exists. The increase in salary is for collective bargaining agreements that are in place and have to be honored. Hope that helps.
ReplyDeleteThe explanation for the increase in the charter schools due to the 160 students that will be at the new school in the fall makes sense, but not the amount which would be 20,000 per student. Even allowung for more in the other charter schools the per student cost would be at least 150% of the cost in public schools.
ReplyDeleteAs to the increase due to contract issues that have to be honored there are two negatives not addressed. 1-The large number of positions eliminated, and 2- in severe economic times sacrifices should be welcomed by all. Obviously none of the Plainfield civic unions are considering any accomodation.