Will wonders never cease, within the hour after his post seems to have become available to the masses, Jerry posted for the first time since he began blogging , a comment. It should not surprise any cybersurfer that this very long comment was one of profuse praise. In fact a cynic might come to what I am sure is a false conclusion that Jerry wrote it himself. Perhaps who ever signed that comment as "anonymous for now" infers that he/she/ will come out of the closet in due time. In the mean time one might conjecture that the author is a member of JG's staff?
The blog itself is once more full of the same accusations and the same protestations about being the victim of nefarious comments by others. Perhaps the wily veteran of New Jersey politics believes that, to quote the master of propaganda Joseph Goebbels, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." (Jospeh Goebbels). Disclaimer-I am not accusing JG of being a racist.
I recently read that Confucius said "The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions". Some public figures should take heed. Actions does not include leveling unsupported broad charges and insinuations while accusing others of doing that to you.
On a more positive note, I am glad to learn that JG is a mortal just as is this blogger. He can make a typo as in his latest post; "but yet in still, we can send $400,000 back to the State.". No longer do I have to cringe when I reread my post and find "nut" instead of "but".
No discussion on verbiage should ignore Dr.Gallon. When I hear him speak I immediately picture a Southern Evangelist preaching to the congregation. When I read his euphemistic letter to Board President Rivers, reprinted on Plainfield Today, I was overwhelmed by the extensiveness of his vocabulary. I would hate to meet him in a scrabble match. Four letter words may be politically incorrect, but they sure get to the point.
I wrote this early Thursday evening and when I made a last minute check of my favorite blogs at midnight I found 2 comments on JG's blog. For some one who has never posted a comment this is quite unusual. Indeed one may say out of character, but (not nut) perhaps with the recent remarkable change in his blog's syntax, I should not be surprised. I am waitng for the next shock, a posting of a critical (but constructive) comment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Doc, I find it interesting that there have been a few comments about the superintendent's ability to speak and write. I have actually looked forward to his monthly community letters and have gotten something positive out of them, including a vocabulary lesson. Until recently, I never thought twice about it. As an educator with a doctorate degree and an accomplished writer to boot I would expect nothing less. I hate to go there doc, but do you think race has something to do withh comments in as much that people dont expect him to speak and write that way? To a thinker, just a thought.
ReplyDelete8:12PM, Perhaps this comenatry would have been more appropriate for the succeeding posting on 8/11/09. I attempted to clarify my commentary about Dr.Gallon. Perhaps my reaction is due to the fact that he is blessed with a voice that attracts attention. If he were Caucasian I might have characterized him as a bag of wind, which he certainly is not. I do think however that he speaks and writes at a level which is higher then needed to reach all of his intended audience.
ReplyDeleteAs a reader commented "There always is the dictionary". True, but it should not be required to understand what is being said. Its use, as you a writer know,is to select proper and alternative words to completely express a thought.
Finally, I am not a racist. If I have to use a blog to defend myself, I will do so.
Thanks, Doc. I appreciate your response. I am not a writer though. I was referring to Dr. Gallon who according to his bio on the PPS web page has written two books. I agree with your thinking and am glad you clarified your position although I was never suggesting you to be a racist. Not you, Doc. I was speaking in the larger context of comments that go from Gallon to Obama as if some black are not expected to speak a certain way. It actually makes me proud as an African American. But I must ask, why would a Caucasion be considered a bag of wind? I was not clear on that. This seems like a post of its own. Since I don't have a blog maybe you can take it on as a topic of thought as the thinker you are of course. Happey Easter, too. Thanks, Doc.
ReplyDelete