The returns are in and 91% of the electorate -Plainfield's that is-sat on their tush (politically correct) and did not vote. The majority did turn down the "school majority" and supposedly it is now in the Council's lap.
One wonders what that body can do. Just a little more than 2 months remain in the present City fiscal year and as to date we have been spending money without a guide to follow. Reminds me of my personal budget, but I do know how much money I have before I spend it then at the end of the month I can make a budget for that month and pat myself on the back for adhering to my budget. In all fairness the Council, Administration has never given the Council a definitive budget to approve. The only working document was an erroneous preliminary budget that created money management problems that were to be solved by number manipulations.
Secondly the Council's hands are probable tied by expenses mandated by the State. The changes in Abbot funding increases the local tax problem. Thirdly, I would doubt if any member of the Council is sufficiently cognisant of BOE matters to justify any budget trimming or elimination of jobs.
What the Council can do is question salary and perk ranges and the administration structure. Educational programs should not be eliminated that includes those in non core subjects and post session activities. If we can not offer an interesting experience to students how can we expect to retain them in the system?
While we are venting on the public involvement in Board of Education matters, I have found the following comment in Jerry Green's Page dated 4/8/09 ;" Adrian Mapp and his team have a resounding reputation for poor management skills. Take for another example, the $3million in which the School Board mismanaged a few years back. The Board accumulated over $3million in unearned salaries, and tried to hide it. These monies should have been returned to the State. This behavior was borderline criminal. I was able to bring resolve to this issue in working closely with the State to remedy any criminal allegations. For some reason, Adrian Mapp and his team are bent on trying to embarrass me, rather than trying to work with me to resolve problems and foster solutions."
Before I am accused of attacking JG, I am just asking for information about something he wrote that pointed to management problems in the pre Gallon era. I know the Assembly man has damned those who do not deal in facts and $3 million is a lot of money. I for one would appreciate learning what are unearned salaries and how the money was appropriated. Also what criminal allegations were there and how did he remedy them?
I have read the Mayor's posting on the ARRA funds. A breakdown on the distribution amounts and process suggest unfortunately that much is political flimflam.Although the overall amounts of monies available are greater than previously much of it is substituting one source of grants for usual funding that the state was cutting back on. A prime example is fun s for the infrastructure; roads and bridges etc. If not syphoned off on the way down these funds would just replace grants that the States usually make.
I find nothing wrong with the City's wish lists.("Shovel Ready" project list). I do however question abouts the "roadS: What are the parameters about the West4th St. rehabilitation if it is only 4 times that of the short Somerset St.job.I hope the Cushing Rd-Terril Rd. intersection is on the list it is an extremely dangerous one.
The reconstruction of South Ave which was done within the past decade by an unmentionable administration raises the question of whether damages were ever sought from the contractor, the engineers or bonding agency. If not why? Did the city sign off as a satisfactory job?
There are other 'projects" that either have already had resolutions passed for grants supposedly available or for use of enterprise zone funds that are in the shovel ready list.Some include the Tepper basement,the firehouse floor which I believe is in the proposed budget,the Salt Storage Facility,the vehicle wash,and others.
The status sheet on current grant applications does not different from those for existing grants or new money from ARRA applications.This can be misleading.
Isn't interesting that the four comments to Council Presidents Burney's blog on the school budget were from the three independent civic bloggers and Bill Hetfield who once was a candidate for mayor but as a dastardly Republican. Patting myself on the back, those who care for Plainfield do not hesitate to express themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too found Assemblyman Green's comments regarding "borderline criminal" activities in the school administration to be vexing.
ReplyDeleteEither these unnamed, and therefore unverifiable, activities were "criminal' or they were not. Using the adjective "borderline" is a TV cop show device, not a legal condition. If they were criminal, how did the assemblyman "bring resolve to this issue in working closely with the State to remedy any criminal allegations"? What exactly does that mean? Did he "fix" it? If so, isn't that corruption? Or does the assemblyman's loose legal language also extend to loose enforcement by his peers?
And if the activities were not criminal, what does that say about the assemblyman? At the least, it says that he doesn't understand the laws that he's paid to make. It might also say that he engages in a pattern (see the BOE "giveback" of 400K) of unsubstantiated and unverifiable claims as a political tool.