A funny thing happened on the way to writing this blog. All of a sudden my browser could not find Jerry Green's Page. All the other links on 'Clips" worked fine yet this one was not accessible. I even tried to reach it through my bookmarks and no results. Before I blame this on Dan, I must say that similar weird happenings are not a rare occurrence on my computer.
So as of 3PM I have not had the opportunity to check and see if JG or his writer had posted his take on the election. Nor was I able to go back and review the times where his blog made specific remarks about the New Democrats mismanaging the BOE affairs over the past 12 years. At 5PM I was able to open his blog, but by that time this posting had gotten too long so I urge any doubters to look for themselves.
Why was I attempting to retrieve JG's oldies? The answer is simple. Two anonymous commentators to my BOE ELECTION blog have accused me of interjecting politics and above all attacking Green into the supposedly non political BOE elections. Perhaps they should read his pasty postings when available. Or could it be as many years ago Dick Cavett a TV host and comedian remarked "It's a rare person who wants to hear what he doesn't want to hear."
But the point is Jerry Green as an individual in his blog supported one specific slate of candidates. The opposition slate on form R! has reported receiving $1052.00 i contributions. The Green supported slate only manged to acquire $582.42 in contributions, less than 50% of the so called "New Democrats" slate. However, BLMK managed to find a source for a $5,000.00 loan which went to Strategic Message Management in Cranford for "Election Mailing". As of this date the source and amount of funding for the computerized "telemarketing election message that I received on April 20 has not been identified. I am sure that will be in their final report on contributions and expenditures.
If the source of the loan(s) has any connection with the leadership of the present and only elected City Committee than I have serious reservations about an ethical violation. Is this an attack on Jerry Green? No, unless the shoe fits.
10:02 Anoni wrote:" We need someone to blame. Do we need to actually talk about issues and solutions? No. Let's blame. That is much easier.
You go, Doc. You lead the charge and start blaming - let's see, what do we blame this on? Machine. Sure a perennial favorite. J Green. Perfect Doc. Money. Yes...must be some pay to play here. Just say it Doc. We don't actully have any proof but you must say it."
He(?) is absolutely right; in suggesting that there may be some "pay to play" or money involved in the BOE. As long as contracts are issued on a preferred provider system rather than competitive bidding there is the possibility that this could be an issue. As long as there is the slightest rumor of patronage or nepotism in filling school jobs the political connection can not be ignored.
But I don't believe that I have ever made such charges as factual. I have stated my dislike for a supposedly nonpolitical entity which a political organization has supported a slate. I am and have always been an advocate for an appointed board. Then if there is to be finger pointing we know where the buck stops.
Anoni 10:23 wrote: "By blaming one side only you fan the flames of what rut Plainfield is in, and has been in for many years. You openly blame Green, yet stick your head in the sand on the other truth. If you had driven past McWilliams, Mapp, Storch, Damon, Rivers, etc - all these New Dems had the stock blue/yellow ticket on their lawns. All followed in lock step into BOE politics. It will be interesting to see how much money each of them have given. In fact I would make that a requirement - All Plainfield elected officials must disclose ALL monies - no matter how small - how much have each of them given. I wonder if they will do that - and I don't mean the official only - I mean the household."
I don't think that I exonerated the other "slate" from their role in making the BOE elections political. I have repeatedly stated that the intent of BOE elections was not to have slates that in small turnouts could impose on the system agendas that are not in the public interest. I am happy that there are others who would like financial accounting or the transparency that all politicians love to proclaim but do nothing to accomplish that goal.
Nor 10:30 do I believe that as you claim I have spread any falsehoods. There is no legal entity as " New Democrat City Committee" only a slate up for election in the primary. Estevez as an individual has a right to proclaim who he is supporting, if he has done so as a member of the BOE he is out of line.
You concluded your comments with:"Without honesty, and honesty includes the whole truth, you are degrading the political dialogue in Plainfield, and thus are equally to blame for where we are. That is assuming you want things to change."
I can take umbrage in that accusation. As Shakespeare wrote in "Much Ado About Nothing "I thank God I am as honest as any man living that is an old man and no honester than I" I can only comment on what is available and question what I do not know. In order to to reach the whole truth, I rely on you and others to answer my questions. I feel that for all citizens to protect the civil liberties granted us under the Constitution it is our duty to protest against political bossism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Doc,
ReplyDeleteThe source of the $5,000 loan is:
Jerry Green for Assembly
1460 Prospect Avenue
Plainfield, NJ 07060
Business Consultant
This information can be seen on page 4 of the R-1 report at the NJ Election Law Enforcement Commission.
While legally Green is entitled to loan, or donate, $2,600 per candidate to the slate of his desire (blame NJ laws), it certainly raises questions about ethics and morals, both issues that most of our NJ politicians don't concern themselves about.
MP
Again thank you Maria. I missed that page when I scanned the R1s. This confirms my argument, that although the BOE elections are supposedly non partisan, the involvement of "Jerry Green for Assembly: made it political. Although not illegal that loan borders on being unethical. It will be interesting if we could learn where the four members of that "ticket" get the funds to pay back the loan or if it is "forgiven".
ReplyDeleteIt’s going to be very interesting to see how many cuts the New Democratic-controlled city council makes with the New Democratic-controlled budget, one that was defeated by the public. Clearly the public realizes there’s an abundance of New Democrats with very high-paying jobs on the Board, and also that there are more politics being played at the School Board than there is at City Hall.
ReplyDeleteAre they going to cut school services and teachers? Or will they get rid of political appointments over at the Board of Ed?
Here we talk about the School Board candidates, but no one is discussing the high-salaried individuals that the Superintendent brought with him. In discussing his salary and benefits, along with those be brought along with him from FL, those benefits and salaries, along with the New Democratic employees brought on board this past year, we’re talking almost $2 million in salaries and benefits!
I’m happy to see that the ministers as well as the gay community did not feed into one of the bloggers who tried to create a problem out of nothing between these two communities. The public needs to stand up and make it clear that they will not tolerate these types of actions. The current administration respects all peoples’ rights, and it’s nice to know that no one’s rights will be violated by the current administration. Where this current administration has shown respect to the gay community, the past administration has shown no respect whatsoever.
It was embarrassing to the gay community in how Adrian Mapp recently put down the former governor of NJ, Jim McGreevy. Everyone in the 2nd ward knows that the former governor has built a great relationship with the New Democrats as well as the McWilliams family. I can see Adrian Mapp trying to play to the church community hoping to win their support by putting distance between he and the former governor. I wonder if this was his buddy Dan Damon’s idea.