Wednesday, April 27, 2011

TO THOSE WHO NEED AN APOLOGY

The other day I posted a blog relating  to the BOE elections. In that blog I needless made reference to the most popular radio program of the depression years which I had not  thought  about for years. It was never intended be any "racial slur" but  as groundwork for a spontaneous association  that popped into my head the first time I heard Dr. Gallon  address the Council.

By remarking that Gallon "was the Kingfish" was that Gallon turned out "conned" by being less than honest the BOE . the public  , and most recently a consulting  firm in Arizona. He seduced his listeners by his fondness for polysyllable words delivered in his commanding bass voice. He sounded good but had no direction except to "take care" of his Florida friends.

 I thought that by calling attention that programs of that type which all of America deemed acceptable due to the mores of the times would have no place in today's world.In today's reprint of the "offending" paragraphs I have bold faced the line that expresses my true feelings.

If I did inadvertently offend anyone I do sincerely apologize.

The "offending" paragraphs:
Before I get into the subject of today's blog let me recall a little history of the Great Depression. People needed laughs and the most popular show was one that today would rightly be barred from the airways  as being racially derogatory. Most Americans, white and blue collar, urban or rural, of those time were very insular and had no contact with African Americans so that the characters portrayed by the "Black face  Comedians" in Amos  and Andy filled a nationally popular erroneous concept of the Harlem population. Thus the situations they would get into were hilarious. Recent hit TV shows like 'Sandford and Son" or" George Lopez" which is of course a self parody"partially fill that ethnic comedy niche. *********************************************************************************
"One of the lead supporting characters in "Amos and Andy" was a local politician, lodge leader, con man called the 'Kingfish". His trademark was in his deep base voice the use of polysyllable erudite words when trying to take advantage of his less educated targets.


There was a reason for my opening story; when  I first heard Dr. Gallon address the Council at an Agenda setting session the minute he began to speak the memory of the Kingfish instantaneously came into my mind. I believe I so remarked in my blog However  then I did not realize that he was the "Kingfish.".  

There is one caveat; I can not apologize to the author of the comment which I refuse to post due to a reference to a Nazi symbol. That is particularly insensitive since this coming Saturday is for Jews a 'Day of Remembrance of the Holocaust"  If that person is a blogger there are no restrictions from posting their remarks there.If that person is a blogger there are no restrictions from posting their remarks there..

Ps: there may be a clue to who the anonymous writer is in this sentence from a comment at about 5pm Tuesday."I'll face you at the next Board meeting. Ok".

8 comments:

  1. They are critical of everyone in the city, but we have people like the campbell's who send their kids to wardlaw bc they feel their kids are too good for Plainfield schools.

    they, on numerous occasions, are critical of spelling errors. but if you look on their lawn signs, they spelled PLAINFIELD wrong!!

    That goes to show you that the may have degrees, but dont have ANY common sense.

    Im surprised their campaign manager Rebecca Williams, who lets us know everyday that she is an educator, missed such a spelling error.

    Happy to see you (Dan) poking fun at voting for Lenny. But at the same time, the political signage in the post shows you how D-U-M-B the Campbells/Rebecca team really is.

    We all know they have a relationship behind the scenes. If you look at all their lit, the treasurer is still the same. No one was more supportive of Dr. Gallon than WILMA CAMPBELL.

    Lets not dump and blame just one individual. Wilma got lucky last year by jumping ship when everyone else gave Gallon his day in court. Shes just as guilty as everyone else. You dont hear her talking about the local state of federal Repubs do you? But put your money on the fact that shes making sure her son gets a good Republican job upon graduation.

    Shes about herself, not our Plainfield.

    It’ll be interesting if you Dan, or Doc print this post. You had no problem when an anonymous writer called Green a dog. This isn’t that severe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the apology. But seriously you are misleading people regarding my post to you, my reference to the Swatiska was to ask you how you would feel if that were to be put over your picture in a post. It was to point you to the insensitiveness of your posting this degrading show within the context of African Americans of today. It doesn't matter what poppoed into your head. You can't say everything you think.

    I pray you and all the Jewish brethen PEACE as they remember their loved ones who suffered during one of the MOST INHUMANE eras of our time. May we never forget; Ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Doc,

    "The Campbell/Williams team"--really??? Ridiculous! I just read this comment, as someone contacted me to ask whether I was the campaign manager for this team. I am not. I don't even know who their campaign manager is. Actually, I met two of them just recently, and don't know the third one at all. I do know Lenny Cathcart, as I met him while working on past LWV forums, and through canvassing for spring elections (not BOE) over the past several years. I also know his mother, Rosemarie from when I worked for the city, and she is a Democratic committeewoman, as am I. Here are the facts, Doc:

    1) I met Mr. Edache for the first time at the Multicultural Festival on Friday, 4/15--just said hello and shook his hand.
    2) I met Mr. Hurtt for the first time at the Town Hall meeting on Wednesday, 4/20--he came to the microphone and talked about the roads in his neighborhood--he lives near Muhlenberg RMC.
    3) I have never met Ms. Surgeon.

    Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the LWV forum (for the first time in years), as I was stuck at work in Newark until almost 8:00 pm last week (two other missed engagements notwithstanding). So, I can only make my decision based on the published information about the candidates.

    This is so tiresome--why would folks make up such silliness? Are they thinking that posting such a blatant lie would hurt the team? Or help the team? I would imagine that this anonymous and cowardly commenter thinks an association with me will hurt these folks. So, Doc, for the record, I am NOT associated with anyone running for the BOE. Thanks for posting--I hope someone sees this comment.

    Sincerely,

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doc,

    Someone was talking about you and this posting last night during a discussion about Gallon and the BOE elections. I had to read it for myself.

    As a child of the civil rights movement and a witness to the ills of Jim Crow, I find it racist and offensive.

    As for Gallon, have you ever met him? Do you personally know the gentleman?

    Everyone that did know or meet with him found him to be a pleasant, genuine guy who got a raw deal. No one has yet to be critical of his educational agenda and improvements in the BOE.

    We even discussed the fact that despite all of the hoopla the man was found guilty of nothing in the BOE (who paid him over $100K) or Middlesex which never officially charged him.

    I ask you why does a young Black, educated man have to deal with the wrath of people such as yourself because of his intelligence and eloquent speech when people as Jerry Green who cant bring a simple sentence together is elected and embraced over and over again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 11:27, I am sorry you feel that I am a racists. If I have to defend my relationships with "black" Americans I would be happy to do so in person. Just come up to me in a non argumentative way.

    If you think that the man was innocent because a board took the easy way out. and the courts permitted what was in effect a pre-trial agreement so be it.

    As to JG don't question me , ask those who vote for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1:15 I will be happy to talk to you, just give me an email address so we can get together. Short typed statements do lead to misunderstandings. If your anyone else needs convincing I will try to do so in person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To: April 29, 2011 11:27 AM,

    Gallon was a fraud. You must be one of the ones he has hoodwinked or part of the Team that helped him destroy our school district. Educationally, Gallon brought nothing to the table besides a three ring circus. He was an embarrassment to Public Education and deceived the city tax payers out of over a million dollars. Young Black Men who are honest, truthful don't place themselves in situations which land them in a place where Gallon now finds himself. Doc is right! Make no mistake Gallon is a FRAUD and now everyone with access to technology knows!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have posted comments critical of me, since there is perhaps justification for resentment of an unintended derogatory remark.

    I will not post any more comments on this matter especially those that take exception to those already posted. I do however thank the writers of all opinions.

    ReplyDelete