Saturday, October 3, 2009

TRUELY POTPOURRI

I had started looking at some old pictures and began to realize how insignificant we humans can be, like these three people in Karnak.
Then I became sidetracked reading the past few days' blogs. I do have some photo's to post as a pleasant relief from today's affairs of State and City but they can wait, while I get a few things off my chest.

PRIORITIES:
It is depressing that there are people with voting power who are so ingrained with "The Party comes First , Last, and Always" that they are committed to keeping ineffectual self serving political bosses in power and to the Hell with the city. This comment to my "One Man's Opinion" is an example;
Anonymous said...
As I said earlier on this blog, give me one example that the Mayor of a different party of City Council worked well for the city. Just one. (October 2, 2009 12:00 PM}
If he (no disrespect if the writer is a she- see below) is referring to Plainfield, there is no precedent to use as an example.. On the other hand, there are two examples in the last 70 years not more than 25 miles from here. I don't believe that the above doubter would deny that the present Mayor of NYC and his Democrat Council have not worked wonders in a city that had gone downhill before his election. And in the height of the depression, despite Tammany's control, LaGuardia , a "fusion" candidate, saved the city from collapse and anarchy.

If Mr./Ms. Anon thinks that the Plainfield has a Council that for political reasons would block all actions by the mayor, then he/she and his/her fellow travelers have elected the unholy 7.

My opinion stands. And why can't the pronoun "he" stand for both sexes when applicable?

TENANT ASSOCIATION ?
"Those of us who were asked of the mayor, six weeks ago, to be tenant association chairs have not yet received the information she promised to email us and I haven't received an answer to an email I sent about that subject two weeks ago."(Anonymous to Plainfield Today 10/02/09)

Thus wrote this commentator to Dan Damon Friday. Since his blog had to do with the "Monarch" which is supposedly Condos only, there would be an association of owners (condos) who are residents not tenants. If the Mayor and Anon were referring to the Connolly properties such as "Pingry Arms" the could and should be a renters (tenants) association to deal with management. AC How City Administration or the power that decides can select such a committee. Non the less is the Administration trying to control management/resident relationships? In view of all that has happened in the last few months this seems to somehow be a conflict of interests.

A GREAT QUOTE:
I am flattered that TSB lifted a commentary out of one of my recent blogs to admonish Bo Vastine for referring to the Mayor as "he". A typo or deliberate is immaterial , for as TSB wrote in that blog; "Clearly, any intelligent person would at least give office of the Mayor the respect that she is entitled." One might ask what has the Mayor done to deserve that respect except to be JG's doppelganger in City Hall.

Speaking of "typos" , and my blog is full of them, the syntax in that quote leaves a little to be desired. I know that those who live in glass house should not cast (the first) stone(s). I must confess often when I reread in print what I wrote I would like to find a haystack and hide.

RESPECT:
One wonders why certain individuals complain about others lack of respect when Jerry's most recent ghostwriter claims that Bernice must have written Christie's remarks for the debate. At the same time JG's alter ego voice TSB accuses Bernice of electioneering for Vastine. Or is this a fear mechanism resulting in a backhanded deference for the professional non bias reporting in Plaintalker?

FOR THE BUSH HATERS:
Was Obama's trip to Copenhagen in an attempt to get the 2016 Olympics for Chicago, a justified wxpense of OUR money? The cost of that thrip could have repaved one of our shorter streets.

10 comments:

  1. "Clearly, any intelligent person would at least give office of the Mayor the respect that she is entitled." -TSB

    You have to laugh after reading TSB's response. In chastising Bo for his lack of respect for the Office of the Mayor, TSB manages to omit an article and a capital "O" on "Office", to which the office is grammatically entitled. TSB also conflates the genders of the officer and its holder. Is that what passes for respect these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. -The matter of "O" or "o" could be a typo which I too often find in my blog. Sometimes the blog maven has changed from Capital to lower case without this writers approval. Other times spelling changes between typing and posting, the other day I wrote "when" and upon reading my post later it saw "then"-changed the meaning completely. So on "office" where he used it, the word, a proper noun should have been Capitalized, but matters little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc, regarding your last point about Obama's trip to Copenhagen yesterday, I've thought about this as well, but I came to the conclusion that it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" moment. He did it, but Chicago was eliminated, so it doesn't look great on face value. If Chicago was eliminated without him going, all the Fox News arm chair quarterbacking types would have wondered why he didn't make that push.

    But one thing I don't believe I heard at all yesterday among all the coverage was this: If Chicago had won the right to host the 2016 games, imagine all the jobs it would have created for the next 7 years building & upgrading facilities & infrastructure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it would have created lots of jobs in Chicsgo, with little effect here. Almost a glorified congressional pork belly. I am be too harsh but one of the negatives I read earlier was that Chicago planned to build temporary facilities on its green acres, nor permanent sports buildings as other s have done recently. This is what NYC did in Flushing Meadows for its two World's Fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too make typos; "I am be too harsh" was supposed to read "I may be too harsh". Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote about the mayor's lack of action with the tenant associations in Connolly buildings. In that comment I referred to the meeting held in city hall about what has been done at Connolly buildings, thus the tenants' associations referred to is not the Monarch, which has no one living there.

    The mayor did ask people to volunteer to head tenants associations and I was asked to do this by three of the residents who were also there from my building. No one who wrote their information down, as requested by the mayor, has gotten the information the mayor promised to forward to us. I don't know why she even asked and when tenants ask me about this I tell them the mayor is ignoring us and should not be voted for in November. I did send a follow up email to the mayor about needing the information she promised and was again ignored.

    If the mayor of Plainfield is disrespected it is in part because she disrespects the citizens of Plainfield by not doing a good job. This mayor received letters from Connolly tenants two years ago asking for help with this slum lord. We all got promptly ignored until a petition was signed and presented to Gerry Green, the mayor, and the news media. It was only after Gerry Green pressured Mayor Sharon to do something that we saw action. It was not done out of the good of her heart, and I'm sure she has a heart, but for political reasons and because her handler made her do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, one has to wonder what this "grammatical error" conversation has to do with healthcare, taxes, housing, and education, etc. When will we learn to stop antagonizing one another? Before anyone is a Republican or a Democrat, he/she is a person. Why does politics have to be so dirty??

    Concerned and confused citizen

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Doc, you could only find two examples in the last 70 years? That isnt even statisically relevant. Do I believe politicians would put party first before its citizen? Absolutely! We wouldnt be writing in blogs if that werent true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 9:53 AM Picky Picky- If you want other examples look them up yourself. I answered your comment by using two that dwellers in his area would be familiar with. Who cares about Podunk? do you?

    October 4, 2009 12:23 PM
    typos corrected I hope previous removed

    ReplyDelete