Sunday, October 4, 2009

POLITICS AND PERSONAL RIGHTS.

I was going to post this as comment to Councilor Burney's political post today but feel I can have greater exposure on these controversial subjects this way.


Don't make same sex marriage the campaign issue. It has no more right in the political sphere than abortion. These are religious and personal beliefs that one should not impose upon others who may believe differently. Only if either represented a danger to society can they cross the line and become a civic issue. Both are protected by the the Constitution: The 9th Amendment "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people" and the 1st Amendment:"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Where in the Constitution is marriage defined? Where in the State laws is there a definition with the exposition of rights and privileges. I haven't look it up perhaps some one will do so and write me. Don't forget that there are 50 states

By the way Merriman-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary defines marriage in two ways;(1) opposite sex as husband and wife in a consensual and constructional relationship recognized by law;(2) the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage.

3 comments:

  1. You have got to be kidding Doc!!!
    Are you saying Gay marriage is protected under the constitution? If so, your candidate will not sign a law allowing it. George Bush would not allow it at a national level. Why is that not a campaign issue, when the actions of big-government interferes with my right to the basic right of marriage?

    Why is that not a campaign issue Doc? Christie wants to interfere in our lives and refuse to give us the right to marry. Why should that not be a campaign issue?

    It is a very important campaign issue and anyone who brings it to light should be commended. I for one will take Christie's stand on this issue to the voting booth. And guess what! It will not be Christie I will be voting for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12:55,I believe that I said it is not prohibited under the Constitution, so in essence it is protected.

    Taking the Dictionary's derfinitons of " marriage" the 9th Amendment would protect it.

    I do not write that I am for it or against it, but the issue is one of personal choice and should not affect any heterosexual individual.

    Campaign issues should be good honest government, taxes, and health care including the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12:55 "Ps" How did George Bush get into this discussion? Every time I see his name in local political talk, I know that the writer has been encouraged by JG.

    ReplyDelete