Saturday, September 22, 2012

A BLOGGER'S BEEF



Do you know that a recent study showed that New Jersey ranks number two out of the 50 states in median income? That is some $12,000 above what the Census Bureau reported this week as the nation's median household income — the midpoint for the nation — as just over $50,000.

Despite that fact; New Jersey’s unemployment rate is 9.9%. which means that somewhere in New Jersey, probably up in the hills, there is an enclave of multimillionaires. Certainly these  above statistics can not be valid in Plainfield; although it would be interesting to know what the true unemployment rate is in this area

Wasn’t there something called the “The do not call list”? I believe I signed up for it on both my land line and cell phone. Yet, yesterday during the lunch hour I had three Telly Marketers calls in succession to inform me of the virtues changing utility companies or refinancing my home etc. This does not include the fact that apparently I am a dedicated member of both major political parties who bombard me with this request for financial support. There’s the Leukemia Society and some so-called Veterans' Association which are frequent callers not to mention various charities that I contribute to an annual basis.

These intruders have become so sophisticated that they no longer use the 800 numbers but call from various listed area codes with an unlisted number. Indeed as I was writing this I received  my semi weekly call from area code 201 informing me that if I am a senior citizen I could get insurance against life threatening injuries or death.

I and I suspect the other Plainfield bloggers often get anonymous comments that accused various civic leaders of specific improprieties. I since the validity of these charges cannot be verified and the writer not identified for more information on these comments are relegated to the virtual circular file.
Publishing such comments would not only create the risk of a libel suit; but would be yellow journalism at its worst. Thus, if the writer any such comment feels justified he should identify himself at least the blogger.

Finally, did you note the state today’s print media?  The first pages of Saturday’s Courier featured as news and article on pizzas and another on craft beers. There was no international or local news of any sort. The ledger’s front page was not much better.



These intruders have become so sophisticated that they no longer use the 800 numbers but call from various listed area codes with an unlisted number. Indeed as I was writing this I received my semi-weekly call from area code 201  informing me that is I were a senior citizen I could get insurance  without a physical against accidental death or injury.

I and I suspect the other Plainfield bloggers often get anonymous comments that accused various civic leaders of specific improprieties. I since the validity of these charges cannot be verified and the writer not identified for more information on these comments are relegated to the virtual circular file.
Publishing such comments would not only create the risk of a libel suit; but would be yellow journalism at its worst. Thus, if the writer of any such comment feels justified he should identify himself at least the blogger

Finally, did you note the state today’s print media?  The first pages of Saturday’s Courier featured as news and article on pizzas and another on craft beers. There was no international or local news of any sort. The Ledger’s front page was not much better.

Dragon 12 may be better than "11" but that is questionable.

3 comments:

  1. The non-profit fundraisers are not blocked by the "Do Not Call" rules, nor are the politicos. We've received innumerable calls about changing utilities. I use Verizon, so I went on-line and blocked the numbers they were using. Phone has gotten much quieter now.
    For Verizon users, here's how:
    1. Go to Verizon.net and log in with your username/password.
    2. Point your cursor to "My Services" on the red menu bar and then point to "Home Phone"; click on "Calls"
    3. On the left side of the new page, click on "Calling Features"
    4. From the available menu, click on "Incoming Call Block"
    5. To enter numbers to block, click on "change settings" and then enter the numbers you want to block.
    6. After you enter the numbers, click on "Start incoming call block"
    That should do it. You can repeat this at any time to add more numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking for myself, I'd rather get my national news from the Times and state news from the Star-Ledger, so I'm all for Mark getting two! above the fold bylines on two of my favorite subjects, beer and pizza! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, Thanks for the most useful information. I will use it.

    Steve, I too enjoy Mark's bylines. AS for the Times; unfortunately it has not been for years the impartial reporter of news that once was its tradition. It however is still the best source of significant news available. The WSJ comes close but is skimpy. The Ledger still has the best sports section in the country, better than the NYC papers.

    ReplyDelete