It is a given that the most important Plainfield Blog is Bernice’s
Plaintalker II; the only real replacement for a local news media.
There is another blog that is equally notable as a service for the
community. That is Dan Dammon’s “Clips”; an aggregator not only of links to other
blogs but also a source of links to news items.
When I wish to read today’s bloggers this is where I start even though
the other blogs are “bookmarked”.
In his linkage to the other blogs Dan includes a commentary to aid the
surfer decide if there is interest for
him.
That said; sometimes Dan’s lead-ins are puzzling. Over this weekend I
posted two blogs relating to Monday night’s Council Agenda session; and on Sat
Dan’s comment was “Olddoc reviews Monday's Council agenda”. (Saturday
Clips). Nothing unusual with that.
However for the 2nd part on Sunday the introduction reads;”
Olddoc takes a second whack at Monday's council agenda”.( Sunday
Clips).
Weird !, I thought that I had done nothing more than continued my
review with as usual some personal comments of Monday night’s agenda
items. *I did not believed that I was critical of Council’s to be actions which
are the impression of my interpretation of “WHACK”; “to be strongly critical”.
Not with standing I turned to my well worn Thesaurus and also my
equally worn Dictionary and among the synonyms found as example the following;”bang,
bash, lambaste, clobber”.
Since I cannot conceive that any of the above described my post I
thought that perhaps the reference was to a slang interpretation. Never the
less since neither the old Mafia usage (to kill) or the sexual connotation
seems to fit; perhaps Dan can explain how I “whacked” the Council. (In all due respect, Dan did not say I was taking a whack at the Council; but rather at the "agenda". Still a Whack
is a Whack.)7/8-9:15 am
If these blogs had been after a meeting the Council might well as often is the case, deserved being "Whacked". Since that is not the fact, if I did them harm I would apologize.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHey Old Doc,
ReplyDeleteI didn't sign my last comment to not lose sleep or waste energy about Dan's opinion. So,
Angelo
"Take another whack" is common slang for take another turn or try. Think of the carnival game of strength where a customer pays to try to slam a sledgehammer onto a platform hard enough to ring an attached bell on top. Maybe the price of the game allows a second hit or "another whack" or maybe the would-be strong man pays again. Or think of taking another swing in batting practice, regardless of the result of the previous swing.
ReplyDelete