Wednesday morning I was going toward City Hall on Watchung Ave, when to my surprise at 7th St. I found the east leg of the triangle closed in front of the Salvation Army Building. There were several Police cars there with flashing light, a fire truck, other vehicles, and what appeared to be tents on the lot off 6th St.
A left turn and two rights permitted me to reach City Hall where I learned That there was a free bike give away to needy kids. A good and worthy deal, but I did not know who was sponsoring this event.
When I returned home I searched the City Site for info. What did I find out? Nothing!!! perhaps I missed it since I can never find anything when I look.
There must have been some publicity because there seemed to be a good number of people there. But where was it and how was it done? I don't remember a street closing approval by the Council but I do not pay t oo much attention to those Resolutions.
Why do we have a City Site? Who is responsible for its contents? How much have we spent this year on I&T? Are we getting our dollar's worth?
Another weird event which AJ has posted the notice is the State is selling the Liquor License of a Plainfield bar which it seized for non payment of taxes. I know these licenses are approved by the ABC, but I thought those licenses were granted by the City and their sale had to be approved by the Council. Obviously I am wrong, and once again Plainfield is missing the chance to reduce the number of outstanding licenses.
11am 7/25, Thanks to today's Courier I know about the Bike give away. Especial thanks to Donna Albanese and the other s who participated in this great community event. But where was it publicized?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
the # of licenses is not the problem Doc... A hapless city government and a Police Department that doesn't have the MANDATE to enforce public intoxication issues, rowdiness etc is the issue.
ReplyDeleteWhen you have a city council that will beat down a good issue or idea based on simple petty party politics yet hem, haw, wring their hands, beat their chests and wail in mass confusion over something like a liquor license to the one establishment that AGAIN had to go before the City Council due to MORE ILLEGAL ACTIVITY at his establishment is the perfect example of a dysfunctional city government.
That liquor store shouldn't have even been up for review after the previous year.
IF THERE ARE DRUGS BEING SOLD IN YOUR BUSINESS AND YOU CLAIM YOU "Don't know it", you are not a responsible addition to the business community and need to go. Black and white issue. DONE. HARDCORE ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAWS.
I've never seen a place where they trip over themselves making excuses and giving chances to those who exhibit zero concern for the community yet go out of their way to beat down the rest who care.