I received a letter from an author in Utah who had become interested in the 17th Airborne Division. He felt that it had not received the recognition it deserved and intended to publish some articles in military journals. He had obtained my name from an old publication by the veterans of that Division. That started a search.
In the early 2000s I had written at the request of my kids a
history of my WWII experiences. There may be a copy of ‘Old Doc’s War in the
Library. There are somewhere in my computer files the original documents for the history. Some
I have posted before correcting erroneous names. Over the next few days I will
post short segments on \the BATTLE OF THE BULGE. The original blog posting was
in 2008.
“We were still in England at the onset of the Bulge. I had
been planning for a week's leave and was going to go to Wales. Instead, on Dec. 24.1944 our division was
airlifted to France. This was the first time an operation on such
a large scale had been attempted. Each one of our two battalion medical jeeps with
trailer were to be loaded into a C.47. I and three enlisted men would fly in
one plane. There was a ramp placed up to the side cargo door of the plane. The
driver had to manipulate the jeep and loaded trailer up the ramp, maneuver a
90degree left turn, and ending with the jeep just behind the pilot’s seats.
There was no room on either side to stand and the end of the trailer was just
in front of the door. I, the driver, and two aid men were to ride sitting in
the jeep. After we got the vehicles loaded the tail wheel was touching the
fuselage. The pilot said we had to lighten the load. I had three bottles of
Portuguese cognac in my bed roll which I had no intentions of losing.
After we threw out
several cases of C rations and finally had enough clearance that the wheel was
not touching the plane; the pilot and co-pilot said they would take off if we
would, on his command, manually trim the plane. As we start down the runway we
stood right behind them in the cockpit. As soon as the plane lifted off we
scrambled over the jeep and trailer to the rear of the cargo compartment. We just did clear the trees at the end of the runway.
Our ambulance along with the rest of the division vehicles
moved overland in convoy, crossing the channel by ferry. They reached us no
more than 24 hours after we were on the continent.
The flight to France was uneventful. After
unloading under pressure from nervous flight crews to hurry up, we moved,
loaded in big open trailer (cattle) trucks, to a position near Sedan along the
Meuse River.
Twenty four hours after leaving England, we were in combat. The
division and its regiments were in army reserve, guarding the river
crossings. “A Company” was sent several
miles up the river to another town to protect a bridge. I also moved up there
with a few aid men for a small aid station.
We chose a house in the village in the middle of a group of houses, side
walls almost touching. Although "Bed Check Charlie" flew over every
night we felt secure when we were in this town. I celebrated New Year's Eve
with some of the company’s officers by opening one of my bottles of brandy. (continued)
No comments:
Post a Comment