One night the troops in the front lines reported cries from
a wounded soldier down between the lines. Our litter carriers volunteered to go
out in the dark of the night to find and bring him in, even though they could
be under fire.
When he arrived at the aid station on a stretcher he had
severe shrapnel wounds to the right leg and the buttocks. We could not immobilize the leg with a Thomas
(metal) splint due to his hip wounds.
The buttocks and back wounds prevented us
from transferring him on his back. After dressing the wounds, I elected to use
the “well leg splint” method, i.e. firmly binding the injured leg to the other
leg with bandages and tape.
He was then
transported face down on the stretcher by our jeep to the collecting company.
He had been given additional morphine for his pain. According to regulations he
was sent out with the all proper information tags firmly attached to him.
These tags were initiated as soon as the patient was
triaged. The tag had all known vital information, including a description of
injuries and treatment, and were signed by an officer (me) before the patient
left the station.
Several weeks later I
received an inquiry from division medical command about a complaint from the
Inspector General’s office. Apparently, this man had arrived at the field hospital
in critical condition without any splint or immobilization. The only tag with information on him was the
one I had initiated. He had gone from us
to a collecting company then by ambulance to a clearing company, all physicians
staffed medical units, before ultimately being transported to the field
hospital.
Since our tag unaltered, was all that was on him when he
reached the hospital, in one or both of these installations no one had
apparently examined or treated him. In both of those installations the medics
should have added pertinent comments to the existing tag, or initiated a new
one.
I felt it was
unfortunate that I and my aid men should be criticized for their doing a heroic
job. Of course, after I responded in triplicate, there were no repercussions.
Strange things do happen in a war. Once in the middle of combat a soldier came
up to me and requested a prophylactic kit. This was an “Argyrol” (organic
silver) solution in a disposable syringe that was to be self administered by
injection into the penis after intercourse to prevent VD.
Another time we stopped at a farm house that was still
intact although twice the war had just passed by . The farmer’s nubile teen age
daughter wanted to show me the space where she had hidden for several days from
the Germans. I thought it advisable to decline her offer.
I had gone overseas with two, not my best, briar pipes to
smoke. If captured I was not going to let those Nazis have anything of real
value. I had broken both earlier in the Bulge and did not smoke or desire
cigarettes.
Our men were used to seeing me with a pipe in my mouth. In one village that we had liberated, my men
brought the village mayor to me to give me his well smoked briar pipe. The next
day he reappeared and wanted it back since it was his favorite. Instead he
offered me a highly colored and smoked ‘clay” pipe. Of course I accepted the
exchange and that pipe is still in my possession...
Another night we bivouacked after dark in a house in a small
village. A shell landed into the building directly behind the one we occupied,
causing several severe casualties. The next morning we discovered that we were
on the front side of a hill, facing the Germans.
We had one buck pvt., listed on the T/O as a litter bearer,
who was scared to death and was of no value. We finally made him the section
“hot chocolate maker”. We needed warm fluids for the wounded or the aid men when they came in out of the
cold. If we halted, even for five minutes when we were moving in column, he dug
a personal foxhole. Since he could dig
so fast even though there was knee high snow on top frozen solid ground, and
because most of those men had come from around Pittsburgh or West Virginia, I thought he was a coal
miner.
Prior to being relieved, we were occupying a house along a
main road for our aid station and quarters. This two-story house with the
basement was about 50 feet back from the highway. A column of 155 mm heavy
artillery canon was passing by. I had never seen anything so massive and was
out in the front by the road talking to the one of their officers.
Suddenly we heard a strange new high pitched noise. I said
“Those are rockets aren't they?" "Yes" he replied. I decided it
would be prudent to go back into the house if the guns were the target for the
“screaming meenies”. As I entered the
front door there was a whirlwind down the steps from the second floor passing
me without pausing and into the basement. Our "aid man" had been
sleeping upstairs.
The division was sent to an area in Luxembourg
overlooking the Our River, and the Sigfried Line. The194th was in reserve in a
beautiful intact small hilltop town. Some Italian barbers had set up shop In a
nearby school. I decided to have a real shave. The barber stropped his razor,
lathered my face and started to shave. He stopped almost immediately and again
sharpened the blade first with a stone then the strop. This happened several
times. When he was through he shook his wrist up and down, saying that I had
the toughest beard he had ever shaved.
I along with several other officers from battalion were
allowed to the have a few days R&R.
A personnel carrier took the ten of us to Maastrich in Holland on the Maas River.
It was a beautiful and untouched city but pulled in the sidewalks at 8 PM.
Bored, we decided to go on to Liege.
However it was in another Army's area and we had no orders or business to be
there. We had to find our own dining and sleeping accommodations. We found a small private hotel in the center
of the city that allowed us to stay for the nights but we had to be out of our
rooms by 8:00 am because in
the daytime it was used by local business men and their girls. Since we
required little sleep, we were really not inconvenienced for the two days spent
there, and enjoyed the night life. Incidentally this was the first time any of
us had seen much less knew the use of a bidet.
About Feb. 11 the division was relocated for replacements
and replenishing to the vicinity of Chalons-sur-Marne.
The regiment troops moved by 40 or 8 (Forty men or 8 horses) box cars from
Luxembourg to Soissons-le-Petite in France where we encamped in open muddy
fields for about 4 weeks, while the allies approached the Rhine. We were now
getting real food for our kitchens. Unfortunately, all the good cuts of meat
were being siphoned off by outfits in the rear along the supply chain. We
received more pork than beef and absolutely no steaks. Since this was champagne
country one of our two bottle “monthly” liquor ration was the bubbly. I still
am not fond of it.
This ends the first combat period for the 17th. Some time in the future I will reprint in sequence the invasion into Germany, up to the end of hostilities. I have posted some segments earlier this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment