Wednesday, July 17, 2013

POTPOURRI TIME

The big question is; How did we humans survive in antiquity (BAC)?  Many of our present heat records were set in the 30s or 40s. Since I had to pick the canning cherries of the back yard tree I am well aware of extremely hot 4th of Julys.

In Plainfield in the early 30s the Liberty Theater was one of the first in the area to have "refrigeration". The Paramount and the Strand after a few years followed the Liberty. I do not remember if the Oxford ever did have air conditioning, certainly it was a home rarity before Vietnam.

In the late 50s I bought a window Carrier unit for my office. It kept all of the railroad suite comfortable and probably was working 20 years later first at home  and then in the Health Office at the hospital. Like everything else they don't make them as they used to. I am sure it could not pass standards now but it worked.

Tuesday morning's news about a shooting death Monday night in the   Waynewood Place and West Front Street locality raises questions about the ShotSpotter program. 

We have had no status upgrade for months. Is it operational? If so what has been the effectiveness record. How long is the city committed? Is their a termination charge? Has the program saved lives?  I hope we c an have answers before the next Council meeting.

Let us keep all fingers and toes crossed so that we do not have a grid failure similar to the one in Westfield Monday. 








No comments:

Post a Comment