My bad Gut feeling about the advisability of entering a
contract with the Rogers group at this time is based on the following factors.
But first I want to make it clear that after receiving
Capt Soltys’ communication there is no question that there are serious problems
with the Police Department that must be addressed.
He notes that current policies need to be updated and
should meet “future standards”. He infers that the current staff needs training
to be able to develop the expertise to accomplish that function.
Capt Soltys writes”This accreditation will allow the
Police Division to improve orders and directives and keep them updated on a
rigid schedule”” He also notes that they do not have the tools to properly
distribute items or retain them electronically. That everything has to be done
manually; policies and files are kept in three ring binders and are sometimes
.misplaced or missing pages.
Capt Soltys may be repeating Director Hellwig’s
contention in putting the cart before the horse; since “accreditation’” will not caused the reforms badly needed but
accomplishing those changes will permit accreditation.
Since there is no question that there is a drastic need
for rehabilitation of the Division (from childhood I have considered it a
Department, but then it had a Chief) why would I want the Council; to table
this Resolution?
Aside from the Dollars and Cents which I will go into
later I have several issues that bother me.
The first is the collegial relationship the Consultant
has with the New Jersey Association of Chiefs of Police.* I am not sure that he
was not at one time an officer in that organization. There may be an ethical
problem.
Rogers is the only group in the State providing these
services. In fact a map in his site depicting municipalities who have used his
services to receive “accreditation” is 90% solid. Could that be coincidental?
There must be many other highly qualified Consultants nationwide to provide
these services.
It is true that the NJACP does not issue the “Accreditation”
but it is a nationwide non profit “The Commission on Accreditation for Law
Enforcement Agencies, Inc., (CALEA®)” that has developed the
admirable standards required. If they are met, I am sure “accreditation” would
not be denied.
The Rogers group offers essential training programs
that all officers must be familiar with. This is important in limiting exposure
to law suits. Among these programs are: Leadership
and Supervision, Workplace Harassment Policy, Cultural Awareness and Diversity,
Motor vehicle incidents, Alcohol testing, etc. They may be and should be done
by a live body in a classroom situation but the Resolution mentions a fee for “On
line Training” That leaves much to be desired.
If the Division does not require every officer to be
proficient in all these fields it has been derelict in its operation. I am also
sure that there must be other ongoing sources for this training.
This Blog is already too long and I have other points.
But, just restrict ourselves to the Finances. It is true that the money for
this initial year will come from County held “Special Law Enforcement Trust
Fund; but what of future years that are contracted for?
The funds called for are for 1 year; a registration fee
with the NJSACOP $6,000; Rogers Group 1 year Consultation fee $47,000.
This year and annually; Rogers Group On Line Training
Program $21,920, Guardian Tracking $2826; and Innovative Data Solutions $4897.
That brings me to my final objection for the moment; to
approve this resolution submitted by a Director who will not be around to follow
through on even the initial year and will handcuff the next director is bad governance.
I would feel different if it were an emergency; but it is not.
Since it isn't an emergency.. Consider it money spent. Plainfield Style.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your heartburn over the issue.. Why spend the money getting the department up to speed through an outside entity ?? Why isn't it up to speed on it's own? Were these regulations, advancements, technology steps forward all occurring outside the vacuum that is Plainfield? If all of this is in fact needed.. I agree that it should be done after Hellwig is GONE.