In the
masthead of this blog I remarked that the purpose of this blog was to be a “vehicle
to expound at nonspecific intervals my opinions
regarding politics-local to international, health care, life, society, and
perhaps religion plus periodic vignettes about Plainfield.”
I added to
that proposition by posting interesting art works from the covers of JAMA , the
weekly scientific publication of the American Medical Association. In the early
years I also posted photos from our trips including some to then exotic places
such as Afghanistan during its pre-Russian and Taliban eras and Iran under the
Shah (long long ago).
The last few
years it seems that greatest reader interest comes from blogs devoted to local
political issues and at one time the Board of Education. Whether a subject dear to my heart, Health Care,
has been of reader interest eludes me since there is a drop in hits and few comments
received on those days.
Therefore, I
am happy that the Courier today has two front page articles; one dealing with
the Rutgers Board of Trustees and the University’s organizational structure,
the other with the legal costs and their legitimacy paid by the Plainfield BOE in the past
4 years.
These of
course plus the spate of Supreme decisions stimulate more than “obiter dictum”
as the basis for forth coming opinionated blogs.
Today,
however I shall be contented to once more express my disenchantment with an elected
board. The last decade has been marked
with a lowering of the educational standards in our system, to frequent turnover
in top personnel, excessive legal fees, absence of accountability, and an opaque
transparency by the present “political group” who control the board.
This year
with the change of the BOE elections to be concurrent with the general election
may increase the number of citizens that cast a vote but once again we have
only two political based slates to choose from in this so called non-partisan
election.
There is no
question that judging by its track record of commission appointments that under
the present administration having a Mayor appointed BOE would not have been an
improvement.
Never the less,
even understanding that politicians like leopards do not change their spots; I
would strongly advocate a referendum to restore the “Appointed Board”. There
will be accountability which is lacking today.
Hello "Old Doc,"
ReplyDeleteI am saddened but not surprised that you get fewer "hits" on matters pertaining to Obamacare. Your articles about the status of healthcare today have been a treasure for me, giving me talking points when discussing the issue with friends who are among those that don't post comments on your blog. I encourage you to stay the course. Angelo