The initial reports, ie: Plainfield Plaintalker, and Plainfield Today, on the Council meeting are in. The Courier may find space to publish Mark Spivey's story within the next three days.
The main item of public interest to be voted upon, the second reading of the ordinance to create a "Director of IT" was acording to the reports withdrawn by administration before being presented for vote. This of course raises questions about the phraseology correctness, provisions, or the many unanswered questions relating to the ordinance as written. The stimulus was administration's realization that the ordinance would either been defeated or at best tabled by the Council.
Councilwoman McWilliams in her blog and by her questioning has given more than adequate and not political reasons, why the Council should have delayed approval. It is a fact that the single page brief document presented as a salary amendment just created a position of " Director of Data Processing" with a salary range. It was a blank check document. There is no description of how the position was to be filled, what the responsibilities were and to whom the director was responsible. All this must be clarified.
In addition I have not been convinced that all the parameters of the position have even been considered. My cap is off to Councillor McWilliams for openly expressing her concerns. Those who have berated her for sticking by her guns even after the county "expert" did a 180 degree turn on her position regarding Plainfield's needs ignore the hard facts of Union County Democratic Politics.
A question; Since the administration withdrew the Ordinance from 2nd and final reading does that mean that the process must start over with a new first reading. I would surmise that the interruption of the normal voting process would negate the first reading vote. This was not a matter of the Council tabling for future consideration but a withdrawal.
The other matter Plaintalker remarked was the report on the Administration's signing the stipulation with Solaris. Since the provisions are confidential we will not know what we have been committed to accept in lieu of an acute care hospital. How is Solaris going to "provide ambulance service"? Through a commercial vendor, or by supplying a vehicle to the Rescue Squad?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
McWilliams did a double flip when she brought in the Union County director and then refused to listen to her recommendation just because it was not what she wanted to hear.
ReplyDeleteYahoos clapped her on.
Ever wonder why so many crooked politicians are in NJ?
Maybe we should look in the mirror once in a while.
8:30 Anonmy, I hope you did mean that I look in the mirror. I have done so every day for almost 7 decades while shaving and on balance like what I see.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that disregarding a consultant's recommendation makes one a "crooked politician" That I am sure you will agree.
AS to consultants and "experts", too often to preserve their status they will tailor their recommendations to support the employer's position. I have known experts to give conflicting opinions in court in different cases.