On this quiet peaceful sunny but windy Monday I could sit back and contemplate how great the Internet is. With no Council meeting (shame) and only the cats demanding attention I have had ample time to read all the blogs and check for comments.
While we have been enjoying the antics of two of out great grandchildren for the past three days All Plainfield bloggers have been busy producing "food for thought" for the great world of anonomi to use for commentary material.
I was not convinced when Jerry Green first started his blog, Jerry was actually writing his postings then and certainly am not now. Of late there has been a marked change in its composition, although not in substance. However, originally the grammar and phraseology was so unique that I too used it as the subject for my postings.It annoyed me that the individual who was supposed to be speaking for me in Trenton wrote as if he was producing a script for the `1930 Amos and Andy radio show.
Every one who writes, sends letters, or posts has made errors in phraseology, punctuation or spelling that proof reading and spelling checkers have not picked up.Often when I proof read what I wrote I do not see what is on the paper, but what I thought I had written. Only too often I have gone back days later and after looking at a specific document would say to myself, "my god, did I really say that".
None of this excuses those who in their brilliant witticism introduce racism into the discussion. And perhaps we are misjudging the Assemblyman who to no ones surprise has just received his party's selection to be the candidate for his 10th term in the Assembly.
He must be doing something right, like being a good team player.or cold it also be as Karl Kraus once wrote;" The secret of the demagogue (I substitute-politician) is to make himself as stupid as his audience so that they believe that they are as clever as he." That may be Green's asset in serving 18 years in Trenton.
Certainly he is truthful when he writes;" The people, not the party, elected every Mayor who served their term. The people, not the party, elected every councilperson who served their term".
What is lacking in the above statement is that if you can assure that there is no choice the people have to elect the only available candidate. As Whoopie Goldberg an outstanding pundit said, "You've got to vote for someone. It's a shame, but it's got to be done".
Green also took liberty with the figures for the 2008 primary vote in the 3rd ward. The fact remains that Mapp received 47.5% of the votes cast which is 10.3% greater than the incumbent garnered . I would call that significant, some politicians would call it a mandate.
Dan Damon who makes no bones about his political agenda supplies a link on his "Clips" blog to Jerry Green's page. Jerry uses this page for only two purposes; To blast the "New Democrats/Republicans" often by name, and to post laudatory press releases. I would ask Dan that isn't it time to link Mapp's political blog to "Clips"?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
New Democrats Dump Addy Bonet as Director of the YMCA
ReplyDeleteAs the Director of the YMCA, a resident of the city of Plainfield, Addy Bonet has been dumped as Director by the Mapp/Smiley team. Since she has taken over as Director of the YMCA she has not only cleaned it up, but has new offered services to the community. Under the leadership of Rick Smiley and the Board, the YMCA has become nothing but a homeless shelter. She put programs and services back into the YMCA, that in the past were not available to the residents of Plainfield. I’m surprised that Doc, Bernice, and Maria have not printed this in their blogs.
People in Union County have been buzzing with the way Rick Smiley has disrespected and totally mistreated Ms. Bonet. This is another example of how the New Democrats will have to make a decision: do they close their eyes and keep quiet, which is business as usual for them, when a New Democrat has done something that is embarrassing to the community? Wake up Plainfield, if Mapp becomes Mayor, you can look for more of these types of behaviors on a regular basis. I guess when you’re a card-carrying new dem/republican, we can change the title from new dem to just republican because we as a community are seeing through these petty political games they play.
Doc it shocked me to see you use the word ‘stupid’ and referencing the Amos and Andy radio show of the 30s in the manner in which you did. It showed your true colors in just how you are really a George Bush fan, because we know that during the 30s there was severe disrespect for black people during that time. Its plain to see youre still living during that time, but there has been many changes. Smart people don’t use the words you use. And in one of your paragraphs mocking JGs nomination, you must have had a senior moment in writing ‘is’ versus ‘his’. Was this a mistake or was this the petty hate and disrespect you have for him??
Anonymous 6:06, Thank you for calling my attention to the typo. Of course it should be "his". As I pointed out in the 4th paragraph, we all make typo errors that we do not catch.
ReplyDeleteAs to your last paragraph; when you use quotation by someone else it must be verbatim. The word "stupid" is in the quote by Kraus. Look it up for yourself.
I referred to the Amos and Andy show because it was typical of the bad charactery attributed to Afro-Americans in the 20s and 30s. Similarly was "Stepinfetchit"(?) on the Jack Benny show.My point was that the writings in JG's earliest blogs made him appear to be similar to one of these derogatory comic characters which he certainly is not.
I feel sorry for you if you took offense for what I feel was a rare defense of Green. If you would be introspective, perhaps you might find that you are bigoted, a trait that you condemn in others.
A correction; _Step'nfetchit" was a movie character. Benny's foil was "Rochester"., He was no dummy.
ReplyDelete