Wednesday, March 18, 2009

EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT in PLAINFIELD

I was going to write a commentary on the AIG bonuses but just could not transpose all my @^%#$@++** words into printable type. This will have to wait a few days.

However, the tabled Ordinance dealing with "The Emergency Management Council" continued to bother me because I had no idea who was its membership as of March 16, 2009 or even who had been on it. I also was not sure of its charge,responsibilities, how often it met and where the minutes of its meetings were filed. The proposed ordinance 2009-4 also mentioned "The Emergency Management Coordinator". I had never even given a second thought that there must be somebody filling that function.

When I tried to look up answers to the above on the city site, I drew a blank. I could find no listing for either he Coordinator or for the "Council". My assumption was that they should be under the Director of Public Affairs & Safety but except for the Police and Fire Divisions I can find no other duties listed.

I next turned to Councilor Burney's "city" blog and thanks to him there was a City Hall Organization Chart but again even with a magnifying glass I could not find either item although again thanks to Councilor Burney I was able to download the Municipal code Article 16 " Local Emergency Management Council" which states that it is assigned to to the Director of Public Affairs & Safety for budgetary purposes. I hope some one will let me know how much is budgeted for the Council and its functions.

When and with whom did the Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council appoint some one to the position of "Emergency Management Coordinator"? Who are the two Deputy Emergency Management Coordinators one from the police and and one from the Fire divisions?
And still unknown to me are the 15 individuals that are on the Emergency Management Council".

All this brings up another question Does the city have a documented Emergency Management Plan better know as a Disaster Plan. Has it been revised since Muhlenberg closed. What emergency triage facilities are available and prepared in the city. I would presume that Director Hellwig would be in charge but if he is unavailable which one of the two deputies would become next in line? Would it not be nice if we innocent citizens can sleep peacefully with the knowledge that the city is prepared?

8 comments:

  1. The Emergency Management Coordinator for Plainfield is Sheldon Green, Jerry Green's son, he is a fireman here in Plainfield. He is paid an additional stipend for that role. What do we do in the event of a disaster here in Plainfield?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9:19, Interesting!! What is the stipend and is he in compliance with Sec3:16-1.1.? Could this be a case of nepotism? Any others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fact: Sheldon Green was appointed to the position by former mayor McWillams years ago. He has made several thorough presentations to the Council about emergency management preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To get to complete story you have to understand that he has been in this role since at least the previous administration. So someone put him in. It was not the current Mayor. Allegations including nepotism are easy to put out there. Just as it is easy to throw stones at glass buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again I appreciate the above two comments re Sheldon Green. The time frame is interesting and not unexpected.Still there will always be a question on nepotism when any relative or close friend of an important political figure whether in state, county, or local government receives a stipend as result of a political appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I doubt Mayor McWilliams would have anything to do with nepotism. I really doubt he would have anything to do with Jerry Green. He came to his senses early on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al McWilliams was glad to have Jerry Green's support in his first three campaigns, 1 for council and 2 for mayor. He knew a Republican couldn't get elected in this town so he became a Democrat. Alot of Plainfield Republicans have registered as Democrats so they can vote in the Democratic primaries, many have told me so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon9/20, Too bad you hide as anonymous. You are 100% right. When I was also a Republican And a fan of McWilliams admitted to the fact that no Republican was goig to get elected in Plainfield. He ultimately made the same mistake that Furry did, tried to take over leadership of the local party. Patronage and nepotism are lepful in keeping power.

    ReplyDelete