Tuesday, March 3, 2009

64 YEARS AGO

64 years ago I was not through choice but not regretted in several situations that could have irrevocably prevented me from typing this article today. I would like to share with you the experiences of two GIs during WWII and perhaps some of my own if you do not object.

During the intervening years other generations have faced similar harrowing circumstances in Korea, Vietnam, the first Gulf war, and in the past 8 years Afghanistan and Iraq. We should not forget Granada, Panama, Somalia, Lebanon and Bosnia where American lives were lost in military action. However, I believe that few equaled the terror of the Bulge or the Varsity operation,

This was recently written by a GI whose name I do not recall:

"I enlisted in the Army in February 1943. After completing basic training with the 17th Airborne at Camp Mackall, North Carolina, I came home on furlough and married my wonderful wife,Joy.

Jump training and maneuvers were completed at Camp Forrest, Tennessee, and my unit was deployed to England in August 1944.

In December, the Germans shattered our front lines with everything they had, with their elite SS troops and their huge Tiger tanks. We were rushed immediately to Frances and then to the Battle of the Bulge in the Ardennes Mountains of Belgium to help stem their advance, which we did, but not without huge consequences. It is heart breaking to recall all the terrible sight during that battle.

We were told that Belgium was experiencing the worst winter weather in 60 years. I remember seeing so many of our boys lying in the fields with just their feet sticking up out of the snow. Some of the frozen bodies were stacked into piles, just like cordwood.

I also saw many dead German soldiers. It brings to mind a scene of five or six of them grouped around their 88 mm artillery gun—all dead with agonized expressions on their faces. That was not a pleasant sight, but at least they were not American soldiers.

After the Battle of the Bulge, came the Rhine River landing called Operation Varsity. The airborne landing over the Rhine River was the largest ever. It took place on March 24, 1945.

I recall many gliders and planes crashing around me. Many of our gliders did not make it through. Very few were salvageable. One scene that will be forever etched in my memory was that of a burning C-46 carrier plane with the paratroopers still in their seats, all burned beyond recognition. The C-46 planes had exposed gas lines and unprotected gas tanks, which rendered them very prone to catch on fire. Many of them caught on fire in flight.

After the end of war in Europe, during the month of June 1945, I was transferred to the 82nd Airborne, which participated in the occupation of Berlin. I was assigned as a driver for a C.I.D (Counter Intelligence Detachment) interrogation officer. We traveled into the Russian Zone, to Paris, Munich, and throughout most of Germany. I returned home in December 1945 and participated in the Victory Parade in New York City. I also marched in the “Victory in Europe” parade in Berlin in conjunction with troops from Russia, England and France."

I have another letter that I will post within the next few day.

I intend to continue with my daily usual commentaries. However unless there is a clamor against my self accolade, I plan to publish an abridged copy of my experiences in the Bulge and later the crossing of the Rhine. Since I only remember the good there is little of the gory.

No comments:

Post a Comment