Thursday, February 12, 2015

BITCH SESSION



I spent much of Wednesday night trying to watch the Virginia/North Carolina State game on “Roku”. It was a frustrating experience since the streaming was frequently interrupted and long periods of time spent “reloading”.

One would think that the #2 ranked team would get at least ESPNU showing, but somehow the area media (print and TV) seem to have a dislike for UVA except when a student is killed or supposedly “gang raped”.

Of course I am biased paranoid, since some of the best 7 years of my life were spent in Charlottesville. Also since the newspapers especially the New Jersey ones have become “rags” with little space for news one should not anticipate anything not local.

Yesterday on the City site the  PCTV schedule was updated to include the week from Friday 2/6 to Thursday (today) 2/12. For last night a presentation of the Jan Special meeting was listed. To my surprise at 10:30 pm while channel surfing I came across the end of Monday night’s agenda fixing session where Rivers refused to permit Williams to explain the importance of “A Point Of Order” which when requested by a member of the “body” takes precedence over any other action at that time and must be heard and disposed before business can continue.

Council President Rivers is abusing her position often permitting remarks by certain Councilors while cutting others short. This practice is also noticeable in the Public Comment periods where extended speech time is routinely permitted to a particular group of speakers and frequently denied to others.

By the way this is tonight’s PCTV listing; “7:00 PM CITYCOUNCILMEETINGJAN202015”. I wonder if I turn it on then I may see this week’s meeting. It sure is nice to be well informed about our city.

14 comments:

  1. Abuse of power is the perfect explanation. Council President Rivers, I believe, has been in too long. She did a good job as president until mid last year, and then she just took to being a dictator. Not sure if Jerry told her do it, or if she is taking it upon herself to show power. Unfortunately, it is abuse of power, and shows lack of leadership.

    To be fair to her, however, she does have an unruly bunch to deal with, and would guess that she is probably at wits end. The only other person who I think would be suitable for the job would be Councilwoman Brown, but I think that would put her over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Council President has abused her power for most of the time that she has served as president.If it is an"unruly bunch" it is partially because she allows her biases to dictate her actions and thus Council members take those biases and run with them.The President of the Council frequently seemingly rules out of ignorance for she does not really run the meetings following "rules of order" or even using elementary parliamentary procedures and even those who should know better such as Rev. Brown dare not to say anything. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marg, Rev.Brown did pull the president to the side and told her she should have handled that a lot differently. It was overheard by many in attendance. Somebody need to pull the former mayor to the side she is an embarrassment. Rita Lawson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Doc will not print this one but I am going to say anyway the only person that said he was a dictator would be none other than your very own Mayor Mapp. He did say he was elected to rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet??? Why don't you have the guts to sign your name? . Are you ashamed to be an advocate for a corrupt government? Please suply the exact quote and when and where it was made.

      Delete
  5. The formal Mayor is not embarrassment. This administration are a bunch of liars. They are creating jobs for their friends. Take a look at the recreation department it have become a mini hiring agency. No one is talking about that. I watched the meeting and I must say Ron West looked like a fish out of water. Mayor Mapp made his administration look like idiots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are entitled to your opinion even if you are afraid to acknowledge your identity. SO MANY comments supporting the former mayor and the permittd embezzlement of city funds are from an organized core of Sahron spin makers.

      Delete
  6. This administration is doing nothing more than the previous administration did. Let's talk about the WBLS saga.

    Mayor Robinson Briggs did not get approval from the council and Mayor Mapp whom I believe was the President at the time along with the other council member's bought Mayor Robinson-Briggs up on charges.

    This administration have hired a firm to do a forensic Audit, they did not get council approval. I guess this council will be bringing this administration up on abuse of power charges also. Let's see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayor Mapp was not council president when the WBLS issue came up.

      This administration did not hire an audit firm to do a forensic audit - they hired an accounting firm to do city accounting.

      They did not need City council approval as the cost was below the LEGAL purchasing budget.

      What else don't you know?

      Delete
  7. I will print my name Doc, I have been a strong supporter of yours I was also a strong supporter of this administration until 6 months into his term.

    I was there on Monday night and what it reminded me of was when Mayor Mapp had Shady Sharonda on trial for the WBLS mess.

    That was when I threw my entire support behind Mayor Mapp at that time he was Council President Adrian Mapp. wow what a difference a year makes.

    This is the same thing the last bunch of so called administrator's did.

    Why do you have some people trying to not focus on the truth.

    I am a supporter of the truth.

    RENEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen my post and I signed my name as always

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, I did not see your comment which must have been accidentally deleted with others that I had posted. I was able to retrieve it from all the deleted comments and have posted it in sequence.above. Thank you for calling my attention to the error.

      Delete
  9. Mr. Mayor Adrian Mapp did not want his administration to be questioned. I can not believe this, no please tell me this isn't true. This was one of his biggest gripes about the previous administrations smdh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, stop it. Anonymous #2 (rebecca williams) you're just jealous because it's not you. Bridget has the authority to run the meeting as she deems appropriate- like it or not.

    ReplyDelete