Monday, July 29, 2013

THAT PRAYER



For years I have expressed my dislike for the Pledge to the Flag; and the Prayer opening the Council meeting. Not only do I feel that there is a too often an element of hypocrisy by those who are most vociferous in their utterance.

However as long as the prayer was not sectarian it could be tolerated by all.  In the greater sphere of Council issues it was really immaterial.

That had not always been true; throughout the 90s and early 2000s that prayer which was offered in rotation by Council members reflected their religion and from some who were overwhelmingly religious it was offensive to those of other denominations.
Fortunately, in the late 2000s the Clerk was reading what seemed to be a non-sectarian acceptable prayer. I firmly believe that everyone on the Council considers it to be so.
I have also paid little attention to it since there I are no specific reference to any religious figures.

However, recently my attention was directed to a You-tube video of the July Council Meeting and I heard several phraseologies that could be consistent with one religion. I am printing the prayer as the Clerk reads it but with the two questionable phrases in bold face.  I will follow with several absolutely non-sectarian prayers that may be considered if desired. The one I like is in boldface:

By the Clerk:”Humbly we ask God the Giver of peace and the lover of charity, to give the entire family of nations true agreement with his will and  to grant the light of his spirit on all who work for justice and peace amen

I offer:
Let us pray silently together, each one of us, according to our individual beliefs.
Let us offer thanks for the blessings of fellowship around us.
Let us give gratitude for our opportunity to serve our fellow citizens
 Let the feelings of love, kindness, and a well directed spirit always be reflected in our actions, amen.
Or;
“Teach us to use our Constitutional freedom to help to preserve and strengthen the freedom of all
By respecting and upholding its laws;
By supporting our law enforcement agencies;
By informing ourselves on current issues;
By voting regularly and wisely; and
By honoring the rights of other people; amen.”

And also:
“Help us to forever remember those guardians who stood in harm’s way to protect our loved ones and us. Bless and keep those guardians of liberty and their loved ones, just as they blessed us and ours with their service in the name of freedom. Amen”

I hope if the Council it is going to retain the present meeting format; it would give some consideration to these prayers. These are only examples for there are others that they may locate.


2 comments:

  1. I like the one you offered first (in bold) as it seems most neutral yet prayerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad they don't practice what they pray!

    ReplyDelete