Saturday, July 13, 2013

COUNCIL AGENDA #1

A preliminary examination of the Agenda for the July 15 Council meeting suggests that Monday night could be an early session. All the Resolutions and Ordinances have been commented by the bloggers as a result of the Agenda Fixing Session. 

Aside from a few "technical problems such as placing 3 resolutions refunding erroneous paid taxes amounting to almost $100K, and the adoption of an amendment to the budget on the "Consent Agenda" where they do not belong because they are not routine business. 

The tax refunds besides being in five figures indicate an error in the tax rolls. That should not have happened; somewhere in the record there ought to be an explanation. The budget items are about 1 million  in grant funds, and there was to be a deletion from the document originally presented to the Council.

To vote on these items individually, if there is no discussion will take about 30 seconds each. I know the Councilors can spend the time.

The Ordinance changing sections of the City Code is supposed to be changed from its  presentation last Monday. I will look at the new document Saturday.

I hope that the Council will considering tabling  R273-13 awarding a Consultant's contract to the Rogers Group Inc., and companion agreements with two other entities. This same Resolution was tabled several months ago at the Administration's request for reasons that I and I will wager the Councilors do not remember.In fact I don't believe that any was given except the request to withdraw it, which was honored.

I am not aware of any change in the "contract". Yes, Director Hellwig did mention that the he believed that the Certifying body and the two companion entities  may reduce (rebate) their fees. I am under the impression that the Consultant whose fee is unchanged was the source; but there is no documentation. Do we buy a pig in the poke?

I just have a bad gut feeling about this contract*. I am sure that the study and review of the Department should be done. However it is not an emergency, since there has been no recommendation for a similar study these past four years. Rogers and associates can not be the only source.

A note of general concern!. In the media report  about Thursday's fire on West Front. St near Grant it was noted that the hydrant there "did not work" and a line had to be laid from near Plainfield Ave. That is not a few hundred feet. Who is responsible for checking the hydrants? Is a record kept? Can we be sure that there are no other non-working hydrants? 

Fortunately there were no habitations involved or peoples in danger; and I am sure that this was an isolated incident. Since there has been several recent fires in this abandoned building there is a strong possibility of arson. I am sure that there was no water problem earlier


*10:00 am; My "bad gut feeling" about this deal does not arise from a concern that there is something illegal or beneficial to anyone in the local government in this contract. I shall amplify later today or early am. Please be advised that I am sure that a department organizational review with recommendations is past due. A major question is this the right time ?

    

2 comments:

  1. The Fire Division has/had an annual hydrant inspection program. On-duty crews would operate each hydrant and report any malfunctions to the water company, owner of the hydrants. The City pays an annual fee per hydrant for use in emergencies. When a defective hydrant is found, it is placed "out of service" and all personnel are notified. This inspection program does not mean the the hydrant needed during a fire will work as planned. Turning the operating nut on the top could cause the stem to snap, for example, rendering the hydrant useless. There are other mechanical issues that could arise as well. Perhaps a question for the Administration is whether or not the firefighters still perform the annual inspection and, if so, what was the finding for the hydrant in question and when was it last inspected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I intended the questions you make in your last sentence to be the point of the last question I b elieve that the Water Co. opens the hydrants for flushing but is that annual? If so when ?

    ReplyDelete