Saturday, February 9, 2013

THAT BULLY PULPIT



When  I first read the header “Olddoc gives Goldstein a bully pulpit”  in today’s Clips my first reaction was one of annoyance . I thought that Dan was reacting to some comments Alan Goldstein had made in his “guest blog” and was critical of my allowing Goldstein to use my blog.

After all we all know that the definition of the noun “Bully” means : “ a blustering browbeating person; especially : one habitually cruel to others who are weaker” .

However on reflection I realized that Dan was using “Bully’ in “Bully Pulpit” as an adjective which has a completely different and complimentary  connotation as “excellent or splendid”. The term comes from British slang.


Yes, Dan, I too feel that Alan is doing a great public service.

Thanks to Bernice:7:20 pm-2/9

Bully pulpit

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A bully pulpit is a position sufficiently conspicuous to provide an opportunity to speak out and be listened to.
This term was coined by President Theodore Roosevelt, who referred to the White House as a "bully pulpit", by which he meant a terrific platform from which to advocate an agenda. Roosevelt famously used the word bully as an adjective meaning "superb" or "wonderful", a more common usage in his time than it is today. (Another expression which survives from this era is "bully for you", synonymous with "good for you".)
Its meaning in this sense is only distantly related to the modern form of "bully", which means "harasser of the weak". The word is related to the Dutch boel, meaning lover, and is also found in the German word Nebenbuhler, meaning a rival for a lady's affection. In English usage around 1700, "bully" came to be similar to "pimp", which gives us the connotation of a ruffian or harasser.[1]

3 comments:


  1. Doc, I posted this response accidentally on a previous story--could you please post it under this one? thanks.

    I concur with what Alan has said. Yes, please contact the state with your concerns about this illegal compensation. Even our Corporation Counsel, David Minchello, gave the council a legal opinion on the compensation question. I also urge you to contact the entities named--Governor, Comptroller, AG, and DCA. The illegal compensation, the underhanded $1 million dollar payoff to retired executives, and Williamson and London's willful obfuscation of the amounts that her firm is paid all suggest they are not doing their jobs with an eye toward competence. Dan Williamson seemed to be getting upset with me when I noted that he, as Director, hadn't paid his PMUA bill for several quarters--an affront to those who struggle to pay and have gotten liens on their properties. I am going to urge my council colleagues to do the right thing and take action. Now that the Corporation Counsel (a position formerly held by none other than Dan Williamson) has offered a legal opinion affirming what compensation means, it is incumbent upon the council to take action to prevent more of this theft.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. If and when the approximate $15,000 Benefits package the Commissioners are receiving is rescinded it will be interesting to see how many of them remain to perform their duties as a service to the public ?

    I suspect that their civic ardor will be much diminished and they will disappear in short order.

    Perhaps at the next Council session Mr. Minchello and Mr. Williamson can debate the meaning of the language in the 1995 Charter regarding Commissioner compensation?

    As to Mr. Williamson not paying his PMUA bill if this is correct it is not only reprehensible, but aside from anything else, is justification for his prompt dismissal.

    Also, stay alert to the Britton Industries problem which is unfolding. The Britton contract expires shortly. Britton removes the vegetative waste from Rock Avenue to the landfill. PMUA has contracted with neighboring communities at a contract price 1/4 of the amount the PMUA previously previously charged.( No wonder they obtained all this new business ) At this writing the PMUA is committed to disposing of this waste and the PMUA does not know how much it will cost to trans ship it to the landfill after the expiration of the Britton contract. Wonderful! OPT OUT...

    Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Kruse,

    PMUA ED Williamson is current now (I hope). However, when the list of properties in arrears was printed in the newspaper last summer, he was listed as owing the PMUA over $2,000. I found it laughable that he would get upset that I brought this up--that speaks to the sense of "above the law" entitlement on the part of PMUA executives, past and present. I agree that this should have been enough to disqualify him from taking over the operations. That kind of thing does not phase the commissioners, the majority of whom feel no compunction about doing what is right or ethical, apparently. I actually find Mr. Williamson quite "affable" on a personal level (he has been described as such), but that is separate from his duties as the head of this organization. The mayor, as well, was on the same list, owing about $1,500.00. I hope that has been paid as well. Further, it has been stated that other local elected officials owe taxes to the city. We receive $9,000 per year in compensation for our work--there is no reason why this "extra" money should not be used to pay taxes. I, for one, find it unethical to levy the local taxes on residents if I am not paying my own. It demonstrates (in my view) extreme contempt for the public. I think the public would find it contemptible as well. In the city of Roselle, their governing body just raised their salaries, and the public was outraged. I put a significant amount of time toward my city council duties, but I believe the salary I receive is sufficient. I do not take benefits.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete