Saturday, February 23, 2013

EXCUSES

February is a birthday month for my family. Among those who celebrated this month are my grandson, my daughter who just the other day hit the big 7-0,* as well as my father who claimed the same day as I. My late wife Helen happily shared the 17th with our great-grandson Jake. Another daughter hits 69 in about a week but that is in March. Non the less she was another old style Pisces..

All of this should make me feel old. However, although I do feel the same as yesterday I  am using another wintery weekend as an excuse not to blog today.

A more pleasant note; How many saw Channel 5's 10:30 presentation on Black History Month? If you didn't you missed a most interesting program; and one of the best.

The half hour was devoted not to the years of history that we are accustomed to; but rather to people who have been outstanding  from the time of the Civil Rights Movement. It was divided into 6 segments; the first one rightly so contained two of MLK's most famous speeches.

The second focused on the "Greatest Athlete in the World'; Milt Campbell. Not only his prowess in all forms of sports but his later life a s a motivation speaker. It mentioned Plainfield several times with a short interview with Milt Campbell III who is still a resident.

Perhaps, because of its present age orientation  the tape could be obtained and shown in appropriate places including the PSS.

9:45am Thanks to Bernice; Campbell died last year . Click on the Times Obit. It is excellent reading.
 http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/sports/milt-campbell-olympic-decathlon-champion-dies-at-78.html?_r=0

My son in law is upset because I added a year to my girl's ages. What would you expect from someone who has a problem balancing his checkbook. 

3 comments:

  1. Loved the show..and was excited every time they said "Plainfield" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doc,

    I love when you speak of your family. You make me feel good about the aging process, for as we can do nothing about it, we can choose to embrace it or fight it.

    Your stories of your family and your obvious love for them shows how much you absolutely embrace life. You are a role model for me, and I thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son in law reminded me that I added a year to my girls ages.

    ReplyDelete