Tuesday, February 26, 2013

SPACE FILLER



I am planning to write a blog or two about Health Care in the second decade of the 21st Century. My problem is in organizing what I wish to say into a concise coherent document.  There is such a multitude of facets involved in today’s health care and most of those that have the greatest impact have no relationship to the patient or the “provider”.

The term “Provider” is one that the sociologists coined in the 70/80s to9 include all who rendered care. This meant primarily Physicians, Therapists, Nurses and Institutions etc.  All were no longer professionals but rather merchants of a particular product.

That one term represented the death of good health care in the USA. I am not referring to what can be done or to the great technical advances but rather to what it means to you as a potential patient.

Meanwhile while I turn and toss on this subject; knowing that the best jokes are the ones you can tell about yourself,  I would like to quit today with a few more anecdotes from those  early years.

House calls in those days (1950-60) were a way of life, as was 24hr. availability. The phone was by my bedside and even in deep sleep I became conditioned to picked it up on the first ring. Often my wife never knew that I had left the house during the night.

One night I had to make a house call on Hoes Lane in Piscataway, a very rural area in the 50s. I was given the location of a house and told that I should go to the rear. When I arrived, I saw a lantern light in the window of a building about 100 feet in the fields behind the house. I walked down the path with my bag and got close to the building when I heard a cow moo. It was a barn. The house had two apartments. They meant by” the rear” was that the entrance to their apartment on the second floor was by outside stairs in the back.

Another time, I was awakened by a patient’s phone call who said” I have bitten my husband. It is an emergency; and would I come immediately”. I dressed and was part way over there when I started to laugh, for the first time it dawned upon me what she had said. When I arrived, she met me at the door and repeated her comment. They were having a fight, and she had bitten him.  It was not serious and certainly not worth my losing sleep.

Of course there was the alcoholic who called about 2am and said;" Doc I can't sleep". I was rude and replied, " Now I too can't sleep". End of conversation but not that patient.

4 comments:

  1. I recall the days of the interested physician, but during the 1990s one doctor would stand about three feet away with a clipboard and ask questions. I would later leave with six referrals. It occurred to me that this doctor was afraid of the AIDS virus and was using "universal precaution" by not getting too close to a patient. Nowadays the bugaboo is used diagnostic machines that I get sent through, no matter what I show up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernice, perceptive as usual. Your last sentence is the crux of much of the problem and it will be-and has been-the subject in past and upcoming blods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calling health care professionals "provider" is the same as calling patients "consumers" --and just as denigrating to both. It's sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dottie, Thank you. You hit it on the nose;Health care is being treated as a merchandise with buyers and sellers.

    ReplyDelete