One lesson I have learned in writing this blog is that although you may have between 150 and 200 readers who regularly scan daily, very few who agree with the writer will ever post a comment. This applies even to those who have constructive additions to proposed solutions.
But there is a small hard core group who take pleasure while hiding in anonymity to blast the writer, especially if something critical about Plainfield's dysfunctional administration, or the BOE or even rarely mentioned PMUA is the subject manner.
I have been critical of the BOE for not knowing its function or for its lack of knowledge of its own operating rules of order. Above all I have questioned the members acting on questionable legal advise. The latter has been evident not only in the aborted Friday special meeting, but from remarks that had filtered out after last Tuesday's closed session.
Suffice to say I have been disturbed by the obvious split political influence in this years board. The other day I wrote a blog inspired by a Courier article about the Board's concern about increases in legal costs. http://dpotpourri.blogspot.com/2010/06/potpourri-2.html
There was a comment sent accusing me of being unfair because I had not talked to the Board members about matters which they had discussed in closed session. I wrote a reply, but perhaps uninformed readers can understand the situation as seen by a board member:.
"I really am legally restricted in what and how I convey my decisions as a Board Member. Please bear with me as I navigate through legally sensitive conversation and discourse to ensure what I do is not only ethical but legal" Renata Hernandez's own words (6/3/2010)
I consider it to be a right of the taxpayers to know how much of budget dollars goes into legal costs in both tax assessing entities of the city. How much its outsourced, how much and at what cost is covered by the legal retainer contracts. What are the political affiliations of the involved parties and how the various slots are filled.
Peculiar to PSS/BOE is the number and amount of separated employees paid out over the last dozen years. Superficially there appears to have been a revolving door. This would also include the legal advisers.
I do know that there is no barrier to prevent the members of the BOE or its spokesperson from replying to the question I posed in that blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What questions have you asked That have not been answered?
ReplyDeleteIf it is as you say "not limited" then it can be OPRA'd.
or
You can come to a board meeting and ask them then.
Since you quoted Renata -- have you ask her your questions? Has she refused to answer.
10:17 PM: Read the blog and you will know the questions. If you have the answer please post them.
ReplyDeleteThe public portion of BOE board meetings are often very delayed beyond scheduled time due to their executive sessions.
I am advocating oppenness on matters that should be public interest, the need for OPRAing means that there is secrecy involved, otherrwise the info would be freely available.
And, No I would not ask Renata or any other member of the board to violate confidentiality. The President of the Board should be the spokesman or appoint a member designated for that function.
For change of any significance to come to either the school board or the city you have to remove Jerry Green. He is like an infection tainting common sense and reason with good ole boy politics and foolish maneuvers meant to imply action and intelligence to the constituents not Jerry and CO.
ReplyDeleteThe worst part is that even those not under "Jerry's Wing" won't step up and call him and his cronies out for some sense of "political correctness" and that silence is what costs us time and money. Right after that of course, you have those that were elected to city council who were once leaders and motivators but not wait for Jerry or Sharon to fart before they will say anything. The school board is simply to much of a mess to comment on..
OPRA'd documents are just the opposite the are PUBLIC Record no secrets allowed. I think you expect too much and want to do too little.
ReplyDelete