"They envy the distinction I have won; let them therefore, envy my toils, my honesty, and the methods by which I gained it". Sallust (86 BC - 34 BC)
Honesty hurts the Wannabees in Plainfield: Heading of Jerry Green's last blog.
I am not sure whose honesty he is writing about and what " Wannabees". If he means Don Davis and Rebecca Williams he may be right. If he is talking about the Regular Democrat line honesty there may be a slight difference in opinion as to the accuracy of the "honesty". Indeed there are some who contend that his truth suffers from slight alterations. Others claim he distorts actual facts to smear political opponents.
In their Blogs, both Candidate Williams and Councilor Storch have addressed this matter better than I could even attempt.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010; was exactly one week before the Democrat candidate for the 2nd/3rd ward seat is selected. This will be the week when we may learn something important and convincing about the 3 candidates. What little I k now is;
Don Davis to date has been quiet except for a web site. I am confused about his "motto;"We must hold on to Plainfield". He does not explain who is taking Plainfield away from us or what we are holding on to. I know little about Don since I only began again attending Council meetings about a month before he became a lame duck.
He had run on the Regular Democrat slate in 2008 and as you will note in Green's flier material reprinted below he must have had the Chairman's blessings. But now he is running against Burney the slate's candidate. That is the conundrum. Has he split with JG, or is he running in the 3rd ward where his base lies to siphon off any anti- Burney vote.
Within the past year he Davis had been selected by the Mayor to fill a vacancy on the PUMA Board.That nomination was withdrawn before Council action, and the seat remains unfilled.
Rebecca Williams has the support of the New Democrats. Although she has never held elected public office in Plainfield, she has a history of involvement in the Community affairs as well as active participation in other's campaigns. She has published her CV and positions clearly in her blog which I urge everyone truly committed to electing worthwhile individuals to read. (http://rebecca4plainfieldcouncil.blogspot.com/) paste in URL.
Rashid Burney is the incumbent, This is what Party Chairman Green wrote:
Another local issue is this year's primary election in the 2nd and 3rd ward. I'd like to give you the reasons why I am supporting Rashid Burney for re-election:
1. Under his leadership as Council President, there was a decrease in the amount of crime here in the City of Plainfield.
2. He addressed 'quality of life" issues, i.e. making diligent efforts in getting the City of Plainfield clean.
3. He confronted mismanagement of the PMUA to the public's attention and is actively seeking ways to address this issue.
4. He championed the creation of the Police Traffic Safety unit.
Green also wrote: "every Democratic Committee Chair has the power and authority to give the line to someone". In all honesty he has exercised that right.
Rashid Burney in his blogs (http://plainfieldnotpolitics.blogspot.com/)(http://rashidburney.blogspot.com/) mentions all his accomplishments on the Council. The problem is that there was a burst of activity in his first few years as a "New Democrat", but a slacking off in his year as Council President when he tried to use more diplomacy between Administration and Council instead of initially taking a position .
Today's blog is not to recommend any one candidate to the exclusion of the others but just a little insight into my rationalizations. Unless something drastic occurs before next Tuesday that will drive me to publish a choice I will be as non-political as possible. If the rhetoric becomes mud slinging I may openly consider that as a determining factor.
I do not believe diplomacy is the correct way to phrase his change upon attaining Council Leadership. His clear and steadfast refusal to call our Jerry and Sharon on their inept, circus style administration of the City of Plainfield spoke volumes about where he stands regarding Plainfield. He would never run a business like Sharon and Jerry run Plainfield..so to me it's BAFFLING at the very least. I HAD an incredible amount of regard for his style previously to his change of heart in the last few years when he suddenly became silent about the mess that is Jerry Green and Mayor Sharon...both who DESERVE public tongue lashings by the City Council.
ReplyDeleteEnglish can be a wonderful language and to some the connotation of a word is meant to be different from common usage. I am sure Dottie, Rebecca, Dan, TSG and/or Dr.E=mc2(be they and "Eye on" the one and same), and others would have their own interpretation of the meaning of some phrases I use. AS the saying goes " Grey is neither Black or white". And if you never heard it, I think I just coined it.
ReplyDeleteKeep writing, but be advised I once had the last "anti-FDR Republican in Plainfield as a patient.
You make me smile Doc to say the very least.. I am sure I would have loved to have known more about that person. Even as a former Republican I had a great amount of respect for FDR and his policies.
ReplyDeleteHe most certainly would be disgusted with the state of the Democratic Party in NJ especially. He valued integrity, hard work and responsibility....most of which is lacking in NJ politics and most especially amongst the local party big wigs in Plainfield.
There's plenty of mud and slime in Rebecca Williams' latest mailings attacking Rashid Burney. Doc, if you were a Democrat you'd be getting them, but perhaps a kind neighbor could show them to you--if they haven't already put them out with the garbage where they belong.
ReplyDeleteSee 6/4/10 blog. I never approved of any party printing partial truths or slandering the opponent.
ReplyDeleteI am a registered Democrat and I get all literature even from national and have for many years. I also am on the Republican's mail and phone lists.All goes into the circular file.
Nowadays when people no longer write letters I at least get some daily mail.