McCain has surprised everyone. His choice should for the most part please the Republican Right. For information on this "dark filly" see (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin).
Palin does have many political pluses besides being a woman. Right to lifer, against gay marriage, a member of NRA. However she has moderated her stance in office, so these beliefs will not be overwhelming policy formers. Foreign policy however will strictly be McCain's not a number 2.
Today I tended to think that Biden as VP will have an influence on administration policies. I certainly hope so. I cannot foresee such a role in a McCain administration. Plus 1 for the Dem's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice to have a female on the ticket, but it almost seems like a token choice. McCain isn't a young pup and his VP could really have a chance to move up. Hope people consider that as well. No matter the winner, it will be a historic event for a minority ...
ReplyDeleteConsidering this is McCain's first show of judgement, I believe it does not represent sound thinking. There are many seasoned Republican women in Congress who could have fit the bill as VP and have been a better choice should it be necessary to fill the top job. Not one of his smartest moves.
ReplyDeleteIt's about time the Republicans caught up with the idea of putting a woman in the VP slot on the ticket--the Democrats did that 24 years ago. Even if this is only a token, which it probably is, it's the first sign that McCain knows something about the real world and the country he wants to lead. But Palin is too little and too late.
ReplyDeleteAnd speaking of "a historic event for a minority..." need I say more?