Belated and with no legitimate excuse except deciding that sleep could be more important than using the freedom of the press afforded by the "BLOG" to avail myself of the opportunity for the "rebuttal" that Council Chairman Gibson arbitrarily denied me. But more of that later.
This week so far has been momentous. Russia staged a full military invasion of Georgia. That is the former Soviet area, the birthplace of Stalin, not the USA state.
The Olympics opened in China to a magnificent organized exhibition of masses organized synchronous choreography. The American men gymnast despite the loss of their leading athletes took the team bronze. The swimmers led by Phelps dominated their events. The women fencers won all three medals in their events. Despite the Russians something is right in the world.
And, most earthshaking, Council persons Burney, Carter and Reid introduced two resolutions relating to the MRMC fiasco for consideration at the agenda setting session.
However, before I comment on these resolutions I can not ignore the well orchestrated manner when after the introduction of these two resolutions Sharon M. Robinson-Briggs was given the privilege to interrupt the flow of the meeting to announce her and Green's communications with Howard about a 60 day stay and the interest of potential operator for the hospital. Her mentor had been flitting in and out of the back of the meeting room.
The first resolution's resolve is "BE IT RESOLVED that the Plainfield City Council does hereby appoint the following elected officials as members of the MUHLENBERG SUBCOMMITTEE with terms to coincide with their authorized terms on this Governing Body.(the above three members named) and commends one and all to the duties necessary to the continued functioning of the Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center in our fair city."
I find this admirable and non controversial. In fact it could be constructive except for the fact that with the exception of one of the "Whereas" es which recommends the organization of such a committee I can find no mention of that committee existing. As I understood Parliamentary procedure, the 'Whereas" is just explanatory verbal garbage and of no legal value.
The second pertinent resolution reflected the type of concern that this Council should have exhibited months ago. If they had this one might not have been necessary. The Resolution entitled "COUNCIMANIC RESOLUTION DEMANDING SPECIFIC ASSURANCES OF COMMISSIONER OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, HEATEHR HOWARD IN RELATION TO THE CLOSURE OF THE MUHLENBERG REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER" contains two resolves that "ask" for certain conditions and actions from the Commissioner.
I and other speakers at the 30 minute limited public comment session at the end of the bussiness meeting complimented the council for finally belatedly taking some action. All objected that the resolution was not strong enough. I recommended that a third resolve be added to the effect that if Howard showed no indication to act positively towards the contents of this resolution that the Council would seek remedial (legal) action.
I also stated that instead of "begging" the Commissioner the word 'demands" should be substituted. Councilman Burney strongly objected that his resolution did not "beg". Technically he is right the word used throughout the resolves is "ask'. However, both words are terms of supplication, petitioning for a favor. Therefore in effect they set the same tone of the message.It is all in the semantics.
Following the Council's rules which prohibit rebuttal, before relinquishing the "podium" I request the right to reply to the Councilman. Although I had not used all of my three minutes I was not only denied that request but after waiting for the last public speaker in line at the end of the 30 minutes I was not given the courtesy of an explanatory comment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Does the council set the rules regarding responses or is it part of parlimentary procedure?
ReplyDelete