Thursday, May 24, 2012

FORUM IMPRESSIONS

Unlike Bernice aka Plaintalker II I have only on a memo size pad 8 pages of notes. I may be able to decipher my doctors hand writing and not think they are of the “take two aspirin and call me in the morning” messages.

Seriously both PLAINFIELD TODAY (Dan Damon) and PLAINTALKER II (Bernice) have covered the responses in detail and to repeat them verbatim would be redundant. If you have not read their two blogs; do so. I will comment on the overall remarks of the candidates.

Mapp;; He reiterated His published statement that the ER was not enough and was in favor of something he referred to as “Quality Health Care”. He again mentioned the need of “community input” which was previously the subject of his blog. That selected committee would be meaningless without political support at all levels.

As to a “perceived conflict” with the Mayor” he noted that 1604 Administration sponsored resolutions had been passed by the Council in the last 3+ years, and that the number vetoed or not passed in the Council was only a few. He did not mention that they involved critical polices.

He did recommend reconsideration of last year’s vetoed Recreation Committee (Commission) that would be independent and superior to the Recreation Division.

Mapp has published his positions on economic development, the PMUA, and the Library

Taylor wondered how anyone on public service could not discuss possible “conflict of interest” referring to Reverend Brown's refusal to talk about the PMUA. She noted that we should try to get an acute care facility but offered no road plan. She supported the Council’s investigation of the PMUA a process which seems to have been lost in administrative bureaucracy. Regarding Quality of life she called for better police presence. She strongly supported adequate funding for the Library.

Rev. Brown again ducked any. discussion that reflected on the PMUA She said that her remarks about the Muhlenberg property was due to her not having done her due diligence but she was prepared to answer now.

Brown is not in favor of the apartment plans but was in favor of a health facility there. She did not elucidate on that point. On Quality of Life issues she talked about a youth center and various non profit and church supported programs for seniors.

Among her other low points was insisting that The Library could function well with the use of volunteers. In response to questions if the candidate could give the time needed for the Council, Rev.Brown noted that she already had 2 meetings a month as a PMUA commissioner so that proved she had the time for Council activities.

As I earlier wrote Rasheed Abdul-Haqq seemed overwhelmed by the questions and the less said the better. His performance no way reflected his contributions as a citizen activist.

I cannot see Haqq as a replacement for Mapp on the Council. In the same vein Rev. Brown’s reticence in answering questions that reflected on PMUA and her lack of understanding of the functioning of the Library and its value to Plainfield along with her admitted lack of knowledge on the Muhlenberg issue make s her a poor candidate to fill the irreplaceable Annie McWilliams's seat..

I will concede that I have previously expressed my antagonism for a religious leader who holds a position of authority in his/her faith from holding an elected public office. That is not reflected in this analysis which is based solely on impressions received Wednesday night.

The answer from this debate is that on June 5th those voters who judge the candidates will split their vote for 1 ticket member and 1 independent. If those who by habit vote a straight party line or an anti-party ticket that I believe this community is in deep ******.

9 comments:

  1. Doc you had the blinders on as most of you who came to the forum had on. Brown did very well. She answered all question except the one where she was conflicted. She never attacked her opponent, as her opponent attcked her. She stuck to the issues and on June 5th I will be supporting Tracey Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3:50 Sorry I do not wear blinder's. I did not write that Brown did not answer questions, only those that referenced the PMUA. I did note that she seemed out of touch especially with the Library and Muhlenberg issues. If you can equate time needed for the PMUA with the Council, more power to you.

    I know this election will be emotional and I find that sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As each day goes by, I now realize that the people of Plainfield vote with their emotions/loyalty. I am not voting for a candidate because he/she is my neighbor, pastor, friend, etc., I will be voting for the person who shares my views for making Plainfield a better place. I have a strange feeling that the majority of Plainfield voters vote the party line regardless of the facts set forth time and time again. I have been doing my research on the history of Plainfield and, once upon a time, Plainfield was truly the "Queen City." What happened?

    Between the BOE, City Council, PMUA, Green and the Mayor, I say vote all of these individuals out because it seems as though they are all connected one way or another and, we will continue to get the same poor representations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brown loaded the audience with people wearing her button, but she did not live up to expectation that she would be a good councilperson. I sat near the front and heard her clearly, and she was not concrete in most of her remarks and her need to hide behind her lawyer makes her seem as much like Sharon as Sharon. That is not a compliment. Her performance last night showed clearly that she has no clear vison or much of a vision at all. It seems that she may represent a very small portion of Plainfield and that is not what we need. If she is elected we are in it deeper than we are now. Too bad for Plainfield.

    ReplyDelete
  5. " If those who by habit vote a straight party line or an anti-party ticket that I believe this community is in deep ******"

    Well put Doc. Unfortunately, the same applies for those who vote straight New Dems. As most of your readers do, and probably you too Doc.

    Howver, Mapp is counting on that. That is why he baled on the New Dems ticked and jumped on the Jerry ticket. Such insight into Mapp makes him replaceable and irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not see a single thing nice about Taylor in the blogs, except when she whined about Brown.

    Even her campaign spokesperson, Dan Damon could not find anything special to say.

    Between them, Brown stands head and shoulders above Taylor. She never got negative and nor are her campaign materials. She is running a hope filled positive campaign.

    Unfortunately, I am sure we will see very ugly things from Tayor, Dan and the New Democrats very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tsk-tsk 7:32 to presume that I vote a ticket no a person . When the New Dems have a slate they are listed so as you infer. In a primary where there are opposition slates that is considered a ticket.

    There have been recent elections where the organizational candidate has been of equal quality but has the spot because he will be a "player". The book will still be out on Mapp.
    THOMAS MANN,wrote"What good would politics be, if it didn’t give everyone the opportunity to make moral compromises."

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's amazing how we attack the person and not think of what the answers to the questions were. I didn't think I got clear answers from Rev. Brown or Mr. Haqq although they contribute to our community and has helped many in ministry as well as on the BOE. I just don't think they are right for council. As it takes a lot, lets not be ignorant to the fact that you only have to attend 2 meetings, as you also have to be on 2 committees if I'm correct and be a liason for 1 of the committees and if anyone has seen the council packets you will know that is quite a bit of reading, and I just don't know how you will get that done if you are a Pastor because your church has needs that might take you away from your civic duties such as funerals, counselling, Bible study, Prayer just to name a few. As for Mr. Haqq you seem to move and speak as though you have a few health issues and I know stress takes its toll on most. I feel that this might interfer with your duties as well. I just think you should care more about your health, because this city won't. I will vote on June 5 and although I think all the candidates are nice indivuals I will vote for Veronica Taylor and Adrian Mapp and Pray the entire city votes with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @8:07, I understand Brown is your Pastor and God but, wake up. This is politics not church. That is reason number one why she needs to step down and do what she does best - PREACH! We need fully invested, competent people running this city so that your children can learn and be safe.

    ReplyDelete