Mayday,Mayday, Mayday:
Yes today is May 1st, a day which going back to ancient Celtic and Germanic times was a pagan holiday celebrating the first day of "Summer". As Christianity spread throughout Europe and especially in England it became a significant Christian Holiday .
During the period when Cromwell ruled England it was abolished as a church or legal holiday. With the restoration of the Monarchy it was again celebrated as a secular Holiday and the tradition of dancing around the Maypole emerged.
In the 20th Century May 1st was adopted in the Western world as Labor Day. In the Communist nations it became the day to flaunt their military strength and so is celebrate today.
But "Mayday,Mayday, Mayday" has another significance It is the International radio call of distress. When said three times all non essential radio traffic is put on hold . Although the words spoken are in English it is actually a French expression "m'aider";"come help me".
I am referring to Mayday in that sense this morning. I had planned to post a blog on the Pledge of Allegiance and salute to the flag but am unhappy with it . It will be postponed to later I hope today while I revise the blog and rid it of redundancy. At the same time I hope to interject some of my observations. So.bear with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment