No I was not drunk. When I wrote "Politics the Democratic Way" July 4. There is much that I must learn about speech writing on the PC. Somehow between the time that I dictate and proofread, new words , sentences and other weird things appear. I have 30 days to read the manual- who does that- or otherwise decide this program is as useless to me as others have been.
I intend to remove that post from the face of this earth and repost it in the form taht I meant it to be. I hope that the 4th kept most readers from wasting time reading this or else if they did I hope they hjad a good laugh. This is the way it was suppoosed to read.
This is been a very unusual week regarding politics. Gov. Sarah Palin announced that she was resigning as governor of the Alaska. She and all of her family have been under personal attacks from members of the national Democratic Party and fellow travelers. Even her 14-year-old daughter was the subject of a tasteless Letterman joke . Her badly mentality/physically compromise Down Syndrome child as also been the subject of ridicule.
It may be perfectly acceptable for a public figure to become the object of ridicule and personal criticism, but the family especially young children should be exempt from such goings-on.
Spokespersons for the National Democratic Party have made it a practice of abusing others while hiding behind the first Amendment. This has often been a tactic at all lower levels.
At a local level Councilman Adrian Mapp has been twice the victim of the Organized County Democratic Party'swraith. It was not the voters of Union County that denied Adrian Mapp his second term as a freeholder, but the "party" that had not renominated him.
It was not Mapp's performance at the Freeholder level. There are probably less then 10% of the voters who know what a Freeholder's role is. Even less are aware of what a financial plum the position represents.
Instead, it was the aberration caused by the temporary control of the Democratic City Party in Plainfield by McWilliams and those who subsequently designated themselves as 'New Democrats" that has focused DeFillipo's cronies ire on Mapp. Mr Mapp entered politics as a friend of McWilliams an d it was during the honeymoon period prior to the old timers regaining control of the Plainfield City Committee that he was nominated and elected Freeholder.
During the recent primary campaign. Green posted a letter blasting Mapp from the same Roselle Council Woman who is a member of the shared services group that brokered the deal with Roselle Park. and a member of the Official Democrat Party. I do not know whether the elimination of Mr. Mapp's job in Roselle was part of an attack upon the borough's Mayor or punishment for Mr. Mapp seeking be the candidate in Plainfield for the Mayor. I would suppose both.
Despite DeFillipo reported statement that she has no time to be bothered in the local county's municipalities, her position and past record would suggest otherwise. Certainly, there are two short term ex-Mayors of Hillside both members of a citizen's reformation group, that might testify that their resignation from office was the result of political harassment.
Of course our local Chairman has not the power to impact on other area towns. November is only 3 months away. It will be interesting to see how our local politicians will align themselves in the coming general election at the local level and also at the State level. Will enough Independents and resentful Democrats unite to elected a New Mayor. Probably not but the race will be interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Since you are going out of your way to note that the Democratic party did not re-appoint Mapp, it should be noted that Mr Mapp rode that very wave when he got the Freeholder seat.
ReplyDeleteHis candidacy led to the party not re-appointing the then-Freeholder from Plainfield. I do not recall Damon, Paglia or you shedding any tears then - that was OK to dump the existing freeholder. Right? That was OK. Now that the winds turns the other way, you whine.
Further on Mapps job, that too was probably a political favor. I suspect he was probably appointed in Roselle more because of his political alignment against the party rather then anything else. As I recall, he did not even have the certification to be CFO, and they gave him a waiver and allowed him to study for his exam.
So in both instances, the old saying that "those who love by the sword die by sword" might just apply to Mapp.
I for one am sad to see anyone loose their job. But in these difficult times, bloated government must be cut back. We are dying from a thousand taxes.
TR Smith
Adrian Mapp has a CPA and an MBA - more qualifications than our former Financial Administrator who lived out of state and couldn't get bonded (so I heard).
ReplyDeleteDoes it not insult anyone that the white minority is taking over the black majority - with the blessing of Charlotte I would gather. Wonder why JG isn't talking about making sure minorities are well represented, as he does in his speeches?
This is shameless, and what is worse is that the people do nothing. Power is in the vote - but people choose to remain victims and powerless.
TR Smith's rumor and "suspicions" about Mapp's job in Roselle is simply that, rumor and suspicion. Anyone who understands state law would know that you have 2 years to pass the certification exam after being hired, I believe Mapp passed within 1 year of being hired, and he is also a CPA in addition to a CMFO. I think Smith is missing the point anyway. Its not so much about Mapp, it's about how the county is deciding who gets to run, who gets fired, and who controls the finances of the towns. It simply doesn't make sense to have a small town like Roselle Park control the finances of a much bigger boro like Roselle. It makes more sense the other way around. Forget about your bias against Mapp, TR Smith, and look at the bigger picture. Its bigger than Mapp.
ReplyDeleteTR Smith, I may be going out of my way to point out that the Politics in Union County and many of its communities should remind us of the Daly days in Chicago, Hague in Jersey City, The Ayatollah in Iran, Hitler, Stalin etc etc. or all the others that would prostitute the democratic process to achieve their ends.
ReplyDeleteMapp is just a pawn in the game, easy to penalize as a warning to others.
There is little new in the "practice of democracy" including all possible abuses of the intent.
>It was not the voters of Union County that denied Adrian Mapp his second term as a freeholder, but the "party" that had not renominated him.
ReplyDeleteWhile I am no friend of the County Democratic organization I really must ask, "What are you talking about?" Then-Freeholder Mapp's name appeared on the ballot. The party didn't/couldn't prevent that. He came in 7th place. He didn't seek the party's nomination and the voter's voted accordingly.
I see Damon and others have thrown the race card into this and are using it to the fullest.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting in that they say that a white person cannot have a job in a primarily black town.
What does that say for a black presidential presiding over a nation whose black population is only about 13% of American?
Also as TR Smith point out, it is OK for Mapp to dump the then-sitting Plainfield Freeholder. Nothing Nazi about that is there?
But let someone else do it to Mapp, and all of a sudden we have a min-Iran in Union County and bossism and corruption rampant in Union County.
I do not know about anyone else, but the hypocrisy and double standards are just too much for me. Honestly.
To suddenly pull out the race card is too low. It is demeaning to Mapp himself. What they are saying is that Mapp was hired because he is black.
They are going on to confirm TR Smiths point.
aNON-6:51P; I would hope no one puts the "race card" as a factor. I would hope that we are beyond that from both sides although there are elements in all ethnic groups that take advanage of a weaker person of another race. Unfortunately as the Southern Poverty Law Center , the ADL and the other groups fighting prejudice have reported there have been an increased number of bias crimes the past two years and this is not limited to the Aryan fellow traveler groups but also from all ethnic groups.
ReplyDeleteTo Anon 4:24P; First let me point out that although the party does not "nominate" in the true sennse of the word since the candidate is selected by the results of the voting at the (party) primary election,there is one column devfoted to the party's selection under a name which signifies their choice. other candidates may apear with different slates or in a column alone.
Most who vote at the primary are strict column voters and usually behodden to the "Regular Democrat"
or whatever designation the machine is giving. One could probably count on one hand the number of candidates in a lifetime that secured the "nomination" if not the designated person.
I posted this similar comment in regards to one of Bernice's blogs...but the message is the same...CHANGE!
ReplyDelete"The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results". Einstein
I am running against Jerry Green and Linda Stender in November to provide an opportunity for "Real Change". I don’t even mind being a "one term" Assemblyman if it means putting an end to the wasted opportunities here in the 22nd District.
I know that it will be an uphill battle because, as you have noted, the overwhelming number of voters in the 22nd district are Democrats.
However, if we can look for a minute at the nature (source) of our lack of progress, we will see that it's not about Republican or Democrat...it’s about individuals and their motivation.
We all want better schools, safer streets, more jobs, lower taxes and higher property values. The real question is who can get us there.
Jerry Green has been in the State Assembly for almost 20 years...what does he have to show for it...Muhlenberg? We hear him tell us how powerful he is...but why didn’t he stop the hospital closing? Perhaps if it wasn’t all about politics of retribution and more about reconciliation, we could actually get somewhere.
Linder Stender has been in the State Assembly for 7 years...what does she have to show for it...the Raritan Valley Line? Perhaps if she stopped running for higher office long enough to actually do the job she currently holds...we might actually get somewhere.
I am a Republican...and I am sure I will be demonized for being one. But...I want to make a real difference in the lives of people in the 22nd district...not just a few "party bosses" and "cronies".
I ask for your support so that we can all move forward. However, it might mean looking beyond “party labels” into the character of the people who want to serve you...not be self-serving.
Ask yourselves…are things better or worse than they were when the two incumbents took office. Remember…all politics are local…despite the fact that Jerry and Linda would rather blame Bush.
Doc,
ReplyDeleteYou should be ashamed of this blog. It is nothing but ill-focused frustration articulated in a very childish sense.
Baseless ideology is the foundation of this article. Highly disappointed in the content of this blog. Hearsay, smoke, fog, all of the above summarize the content of this blog.
Your tone has shifted to desperate since the SRB primary victory, the JG victory, as well as their feats and accomplishments since then.
Anonymous Writer
Anonymous writer; I am sorry that you think my blog is childish desperate frustrated drivel
ReplyDeletePerhaps I could have expressed myself better than this posting seems to have been. Non-the-less,I find the type politics in the Roselle incident entirely unacceptable.
I deliberated for a long time if I should post Bo Vastine's commentary since it is a political campaign document. However, although not the same. I did post Green's letter to me. I am now setting a new ground rule; I will post material from all political candidates as long as it is in good taste and not obviously false or libelous.
To July 7 2:25pm - I am always intrigued by the comments of those who support JG and SRB. There are references to their feats and accomplishments, but I never read anything specific about what they have done. So - I would like to be clear on why I believe both SRB and JG are ineffective in their roles:
ReplyDeleteNo economic development
No road repairs
No occupation of the senior center 3 months after the opening - and 13% cost to the citizens for operating costs that are not defined (more taxes is the translation)
No efficient process to get people on boards/commissions
No up to date technology to create a more cost effective government
No Muhlenburg
No leadership notably no CFO for the city
No collaboration with the people of Plainfield
No respect for the people of Plainfield that we are the bosses of City Hall as shown by the administration not adhering to rules and regulations and not being accountable to anything (Marc Dashield has been in his position past the 90 day limitation and no administration response)
Now what again are their feats and accomplishments?
Doc,
ReplyDeleteI thank you for posted my comment, and do respect your position, as I always do.
Anonymous writer