Monday, July 13, 2009

COUNCIL MEETING POTPOURRI

Something happened on the way to the forum! The Special Meeting was cancelled with even less public notice than the one calling it. I am told that Rashid posted a note on his blog timed at 3:45 PM, which I missed when I had checked later.

I can't help but think that the process was too blatant outrageous that someone had second thoughts. Perhaps the comments Rashid received as well as those posted by Plainfield's watchdog bloggers had an effect.

Never-the-less the Agenda setting session dragged on until after 10PM. Those that left early were the wisest attendees. Notable absentees were Councilpersons Carter and Storch.

Among the positive recommendations for action next Monday were;the employing Bibi Taylor as department Director of Administration,Finance, Health and Social Services. She had been interviewed by the Council members at the Executive Session immediately preceding the Council meeting.

Also approved for action were Abubakar Jalloh as Deputy City Clerk and I believe James Mangini to serve as CFO.

Dashield gave presentation of PS/TV and its programing. It is still not available for FIOS subscribers or the satelite networks. Blok Box Pictures,LLC is to be retained as Media Consultant. There seems to be a difference in opinion as to the role of the Advisory Committee, Dasheilds feels that it is only advisory whereas Council President Burney and othe Councilors believe that it is supposed to have a more active role along with the Council as to the City's channel. Incidentally in Comcasts switch to digital formatting the city will have only one Chanel #6 instead of #74 &75.

After some discussion and Council members piercing questions on Mondays agenda will be a resolution approving "Organiztion For Recovery" to operate the Dudley House as of 7/1/09 to 12/31/09. The city still has to get a certificate for use.

Thee ordinances for second reading were approved. One for completely amending the 2008 Bond Ordinace for Road Improvement and issuance of $950,000.00 bonds, will increase theappropriation from $1 mil to $6.3 mil and authorize the issuance of $5,985,000 of bonds or notes. I am not sure what the interest rate will be and am positive if Plainfield's financial rating may cause resort to notes at a higher interest but short term. I believe that the total amount will not have to sought at one time.

Of interest in the printed copy of the resolution as presented for second reading was a double reference for paving Richmond Street, an unspecified area of South Ave and funds, "to include all equipment,fixtures,furniture,costs" etc. Not specified was which streets were to be turned into a pedestrian mall where the furniture will be used.

Withdrawn was a new proposed ordinance to create a position for an Information Technology Director or whatever the latest title will be. This was in essence a resubmission of one that was withdrawn under Council pressure during the 2009FY.

The position is to be created without any job specification. I would hope that the Citizen's Advisory Committee will help Administration to formulate a comprehensive plan before selecting a person to head a division.

I did not stay for the Public Commentary portion of the meeting and since Mark Spivey left much earlier I hope if there was anything significant mentioned at that time someone will send a "comment" to this blog.










Beesides cancelling the Special Meeting the Adminmistration withdrew an Ordinance creating a Department of Information Technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment