The
expression "To the victor go the spoils" originated with Sen.
William L. Marcy of New York during a congressional debate in 1832. His actual
phrase was "to the victor belong the spoils."
I first heard it used by a first Ward Democrat Committeeman shortly
after Mark Fury was elected Mayor. I had remarked that he (Fury) was being very
liberal in his patronage appointments.
There were two incidents Monday night that reminded me of
that dictum.
The first of course was the Executive Session to interview
temporary health officer Proctor revenant prior to a resolution to permit a waiver of residency. Apparently
politics at the county Democratic level prevails since no such resolution was
added to the agenda.
The second reminder came from former Mayor Queen Robinson-Briggs who had been granted double time by the Council during the public
commentary. She questioned who was the
new Assistant City Clerk, and, if as requested by the Council, the office of
Chief of Staff had been close in June.
Her
question was greeted by deadpan silence until Administration grudgingly acknowledged the abolition
of the COS position. and there seemed to be an inference that former Chief of
Staff is now the Assistant City Clerk.
For well over two years at every Council Session there has
been a citizen complaining about the attitude and autocratic actions of the
Director of the Senior Center. It has mostly been treated as a vendetta between
the individual and the director. Although there could have been truths in these
complaints which other separately individuals supporting these accusations, this was always
referred to the then sitting City Administrator for investigation and any
required action.
This Monday a new actor entered the stage in the person of a
weeping woman complained she has been subject to sexual harassment by the older
men there and the director has been any responses to her complaints
Director of Public Health and Safety Riley was instructed to
make a thorough investigation and act to correct any such unacceptable conduct.
Next chapter in September.
Another resolutions that was adopted provided for Green
Acres funding to improve the city parks including the walkway along Green
Brook.
Included was upgrading of the baseball and football
facilities at Seidler Field and I think Milt Campbell field.
Apparently the focusing was on the use of artificial turf for
football and baseball fields. When one of the public commentators complained that
no provision was being made for soccer he was countered by another public
speaker who remarked that Baseball and Football were American games and that
there was just beginning to be interest in soccer
It was obviously he had forgotten last Monday’s invasion of
youth soccer families complaining that after 20 years they were being shut out
of the city facilities. Guess which Councilor pontificated on the need to
support youth baseball and football ignoring soccer.
Sadly another speaker who should know better perhaps believing it to be funny remarked " I hope they speak Spanish". To often ethnic comments are made and tolerated by Public speakers, including some prominent individuals, and Councilors. No wonder Plainfield is a troubled town.
Sadly another speaker who should know better perhaps believing it to be funny remarked " I hope they speak Spanish". To often ethnic comments are made and tolerated by Public speakers, including some prominent individuals, and Councilors. No wonder Plainfield is a troubled town.
Obviously "To the Victor belongs the spoils works for both "Regular" and "New" Democrats . The controlling majority of the Council will do anything possible to thwart the Mayor while professing cooperation. The Administration challenging the local party with its patronage appointments, although almost all have been local residents.
(Corrrections and additions at 7:30 am)
(Corrrections and additions at 7:30 am)
I am from Rahway sitting on the council and you best believe you guys need to do your homework on her and her Husband Rick Proctor
ReplyDeletePerhaps you, the Rahway Council person are Jennifer Wenson-Maier who spent 4 years as Plainfield’s Director of Public Works and Urban Development while also being a sitting Councilor in Rahway as a good Democrat. If so you have been employed in Hoboken since leaving Plainfield as I believe Environment Director.
DeleteObviously you are well informant about the political atmosphere here and in Rahway. I am sure that all parties here are aware of the Proctors and the ensuing political happenings in Rahway and Union County.
As I recall your term here was marked by a lack of maintenance of the streets and no significant urban development. There was a lot of talk from Howard’s office but nothing to show.
" Informant" is Microsoft Words concept not mine. Of course tghe word should be "Informed" as originally typed.
DeleteAll baseball needed was to be left alone as one league, grass cut and the facilities open. You see how quiet it's been since the change of administration. Soccer has grown immensely in Plainfield and should be accommodated. Rev. Greer supported dave wynn's backwardness while he successfully divided the kids who wanted to play so neither organization was as strong as it should have been. So he should now just remain a spectator.
ReplyDeleteTo the curious, I did not identify the person who made the "speak spanish" remark because I know it was to be in jest not just racist. In 1973 Howard Cosell a sports announcer think he was being complimentary said "look at that monkey run". He was crucified for making a racist remark. All too often some one including us makes innocently a remark that others consider racist.
ReplyDeleteMy reason for posting that comment was to illustrate the inherent ethnic divisions that damn Plainfield.
Doc, I would like to adress the " inherent ethnic division" not only in Plainfield but in many urban areas that are becoming home to Spanish speaking people. As I travel
Deletearound the city I notice apartment rental signs in Spanish only, shops and restaurants in Spanish only. Yet, when dealing with the English speaking community, Spanish is always an option. I made the comment regarding the city council meeting when a group showed up to address the soccer fields. I was not being racist, I was being real. I do not see Hispanics at any civic meetings, nor do I see them at the voting polls. What I do see is discrimination on there part and/ or an unwillingness to be inclusive in the urban environment that does have a Black population. As a white person, you do not see life from a Black perspective. Have you ever seen Hispanics patronize Black establishments? Not only are they being discriminate in their practices, but so are the Koreans in the urban areas. I personally confronted a local retailer in Plainfield about a for hire sign that required both Spanish and English. This is an establishment that has a predominately Black clientele (beauty supply). This is why
there is underlying tension in the urban communities. Black people spend their money with everybody. What our school systems should implement in the curriculum is Mandatory Spanish from K-12 in order for our children to be able to compete for jobs in this country. They will not survive in the work force without it. No, I am not racist, I am a realist.