Friday, August 1, 2014

ABOUT MEETING




From Olive Lynch; a report.

My takeaway from the meeting:

1. Plainfield's financial house is being put in order. A forensic accounting is in the works. A settlement has been reached with Monarch.

2. Economic development appears to be primarily focused on building retail/apartments.

3. The street situation is a mess. There were monies to fix streets, no one appears to know the real status on when/where things will be done. Mayor Mapp said they had to deternine Plainfield's debt-carrying capacity for more repair borrowing. But, no one answered about the monies already borrowed for work that has not been done, or the priorities that were set and funds allocated from years ago.

4. They have requests out for resumes for Director of Public Works, Inspection Director. They will close them shortly, start interviews.

5. Health Inspections -- I think I heard 96 establishments have been inspected. They are hiring another part-time person. A commitment was made by spring to have every food facility inspected.

6. Communication. Mayor Mapp is setting up different ways to 'get the word out' via email and phone on meetings and other important events. The website is going to be reworked and made more user friendly, with forms online.

7. Police -- I think director said there has been a significant reduction in violent crime in first 6 months. The division being certified. Nothing was said about Shotspotter. Police dept did a problem with kids that was successful.

8. Recreation. All the pools were opened on time. The open land resolution will be a referendum vote in Nov to primarily benefit recreation opportunities. I think I heard kids will be given an id card, so recreation can track use of the facilities/programs.

9. Muhlenberg. They have the draft report. It will get reviewed by government and a public meeting will be set up to present to citizens.

I'm sure I haven't mentioned everything.

The meeting was 1.5 hours long, with 1/2 hour for public comments.

The space was packed, people standing. Next time it should be where there is more room and parking. The sound system was horrible.



See also Robin's comment  to "OZ and GAZA"

No comments:

Post a Comment