Friday, June 6, 2014

D DAY JUNE 6, 1944



June 6, 1944: The 70th anniversary of a date is an unusual one to celebrate. Usually we mark those that indicate the beginning of a new generation; 25th, 50th, 75th, 100th etc.

But today is different. If a half dozen of you reading this blog remember that day, I will be surprised. Never the less we all should forever since it meant that the end of the greatest threat to our way of life was now possible.
No one, not even I*, who was not physically present can imagine the horrors of that day on the beaches of Normandy; especially that of Omaha beach.

Understand, those that were there endured not because of the glory of war, but because it was their duty as Americans and all others who valued the ability to pursue the concept of freedom of life.

If Normandy had failed, we would have soon been embedded in an autocratic totalitarian way of life. None of the Civil Rights reforms that have taken place would have taken place.
·        *I was very happy at Camp Forrest, Tenn. With the 17th Airborne waiting for orders to be the third such division in Europe. We were followed by the 13th which never saw airborne action. The 11th Airborne served in the Pacific. All are well acquainted with the history of the 82nd and th101.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Doc. One of my grandfathers was in both WWI and WWII--in the Canadian Army--Major J. Clarence Irvine. I have photos of him--only knew him as a very little girl before his death in the 1970s. I am always fascinated to read of your wartime experiences.

    Best,

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered and wish to thank you and your generation for the sacrifice that you made which allow those of us in the post war generation to enjoy the freedoms we have today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your service doc.

    ReplyDelete